What scope for new rifle?

JC3

Hello all. This is my first post on the board. After reading many subjects over the past week, I'm sure I can get some great advice here.

I just ordered a Lazzeroni Warbird (.308) rifle. It won't be ready for optics for another six months, but I'm trying to get a good idea of want I want on it. I have narrowed my choices between Zeiss and Schimdt & Bender. Here's my dilemma. I purchased the rifle because I want to be able to reach out to what I consider long range (500-600yds). I will not do this until I am profficient at this on the range. I don't understand what parallax is or any other terminology that goes with long range optics, but I have no problem learning about it. Basically, alot of the optics stuff I have been reading about is kinda over my head. So with that being said, what in the heck should I put on my rifle? What reticle? Look forward to your reponses.

Hi JC3. I am definetly not a long-range scope guru but on my .300 I have a basic 3x-9x Burris and on my .30-.378, I use a Burris Black Diamond 3x-12x. Both scopes are just regular "plexes", i.e. no mil-dot, no range finding, just regular cross hairs. Most, if not all, posters on this site can drive somewhere, see an animal at 1200 yards, get out, adjust their scopes using the turrets, and whack that animal. Because of the way I was taught, I haven't yet had a scope that a person was able to crank turrets for a specific range, I have always depended on the SWAG for a certain range and held over. I have had a lot of success with very little disappointment but I have been carrying hi power rifles and hunting with them since I was 8 so I learned how to shoot at all types of distances on flat land (Nebraska). A poster on this site is a great friend of mine who I lost contact with for a while and thankfully was reunited with on this site. He makes custom rifles using calibers he is creating. I plan on buying one of his custom rifles from him and when I do, I will go for that "sniper" scope, where I can determine a range, crank on the turrets, and whack animals but until then, I will just UV and scent kill up, and continue to whack animals at distances that are comfortable to my set-ups, which for me is up to 700 yards.

for a modest range of 500-600yds,..most any scope will work if you simply sight in fairly high at 100yds to at zero or near zero at 500yds. If you want a ranging reticle,..my lowest price choice for a good custom rig would be the IOR 6-24x50 with the MP8 reticle and then (and foremost) the nightforce NXS in any power that interests you with the R2 reticle will fit the bill nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.