Looking at a new rifle, what to do for scope??

Slopeshunter

Hey everyone, so I've been thinking of picking up a Savage 12FV in .204 Ruger. Problem I'm having is what scope to put on it? I do not want to sink alot of money into the scope. This rifle will only be used for varmints and coyotes. Maybe at the top end I'm thinking of a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15X40, but truthfully that's really more than I'd like to spend ($390 up here).

Anybody have any recommendations of scopes I may want to look at in my price range for my applications??

I know that Tasco scopes are cheap, but have never used one. Maybe there's a reason why they're cheap.

Any input is appreciated.

I just purchased a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 new on Ebay, but I dont' think I'm going to purchase another scope on ebay just because of the risk of getting screwed. Check out theopticzone who is a sponsor of the site. I think Highly of the Buckmaster for the money.

Thanks for the replys so far. Had never really considered looking at ebay, will have to look into it further.

Anyone have any opinion of Simmons scopes? I see that they make a 6-18 with mildot reticle??

Thanks again.

The Savage package guns come with the simmons.. My buddy bought one and he had to buy a new one within 2 boxes of shells.. It was a 300 win but if they won't stand up to that I would think one good drop or bump might do them in to...

You might get away with them on a 204 but personally I stay away from the Simmons.

The Bushnell Legend maybe a better choice than a Simmons.

Bushnell Outdoor Products

I bought the package Savage with a Simmons in 223 cal. and it works great so far. 500 rounds and no problems. Not as clear as my Lupy's but 1/10 the cost. My 100 yds target finding a load it likes.

223testgroup.jpg

Slopeshunter

I had a 6X18 Simmons scope on a triple duce magnum. I had it leaning on a desk and it fell over. The 1 inch tube broke in between of the rings.The aluminum tube was oxidized and had air pockets in it. I sent this back to Simmons for repair or replacement due to the air pockets in the metal. Approxmately three months later they replaced it with a 3X9. Needless to say I have nothing made with the Simmons name on it.
varmit1

in all fairness...

i have to say i had a couple rifles with simmons scopes in the past and all worked well.....the glass was not as clear some scopes but they held zero very well.....my preference was the 4-12....

killed 12 coyotes this winter with a stevens mod#200 in 22-250 with a bushnell banner 3.5X10 scope...i think all the scope mfgs are making fairly good quality stuff these days.....not everyone can afford NF scopes...AJ

If you can find a Simmons 6.5-20x Whitetail Classic they are generally pretty good. I have one I mount on whatever gun needs a scope at the time, took a bigtime fall during hunting and held zero and is fine internally although the outside has some big scratches and gouges. The crosshair may be thick for a 204, although there is one with a mildot reticle that might be better.

That all said, I would advise getting a higher dollar scope if you can afford it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.