What scope for new 6.5x.284 Cooper Rifle?

Jon L.

I have received my new Cooper in 6.5x.284 and I'm having a difficult time selecting a scope. I was considering the Zeiss Rapid Z 800. Also considering something less busy like a Leopold Boone and Crocket with an added calibrated elevation turret.

Comments appreciated as deer/antelope season is almost here!

Take a look at the Vortex Viper HSLR. Got one on my 260ai and love it. It has a BDC reticle but it less busy than the Zeiss and has a dial elivation turret like your looking for.

Thank You, I'll check it out right away. If I don't make a decision soon antelope season will have come and gone!

I have the Rapid Z and would go with the Leupy B&C over the Vortex. The glass is miles ahead of the Vortex.
My only beef with Leupold is the loss of eye relief as you increase the magnification.

I have a Cooper Phoenix 6.5-284. On top of it, I have a Nightforce 3.5-15 and I love it. It's on the heavy side for that rifle and if I was to have anything else, it would be a Vortex Viper of some configuration(either the PST or the HS LR).

I had a Zeiss Rapid Z on a 340 Weatherby I used to have. I really like it at the range and thought it was wonderful. Once I saw a big buck and had to take a quick shot, it became somewhat overwhelming. To top it off, I prefer scopes with a 30mm tube. Just bigger, heavier, more durable components in the 30mm tubes.

If money is kinda tight, go with the Viper HS. I have yet to own a Vortex product that I was not impressed with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.