scope for new coyote rifle

jaybic

Hello all,

I am building a new long(er) range coyote hunting tournament rifle and am looking for scope ideas. It is a Hart barreled Stiller Predator in .243 or .243ai (undecided as of yet). I hunt in the Western Dakotas and Eastern Montana and between spot and stalk and just bino-ing up coyotes, can take long shots frequently. I have pretty much given myself a 2000.00 max budget for a scope and have had quite a few ideas given to me.

I am leaning towards a NF but as I understand it the Bushnell 3.5x21 is made by the same folks in the same place. I am also considering a Zeiss 5x25 HD 5, and a few others. In short, I am very much still on the research phase of this but the time it buy is not to far off. I have also considered the Vortex line but my buddy has one and its nice but the quality control from them scares me a bit. Long story....

My criteria is this:

A. Ranging capabilities using subtensions(first or second focal plane?) should my LRF not be willing to pick up the 750yd coyote on the hill side
B.The ability to dial after the range is determined
C. very repeatable
D. a ballistic reticle that I can use when I do not have time to dial...ie coyote leaving at 600 yards and its now or never....
E. Low light conditions

This is really my first foray into the long range game and I am building this rifle because I am tired of ND coyotes hanging up at longer yardages and laughing at me and my 22-250(yes, I know it will get there but throw in some ND wind and I find myself wishing for something with more steam and better bc)

Sorry for the long winded post but I thought the more info I gave, the better the feedback might be. Any and all ideas are very much appreciated and have a great day!

Jamie

I was in the exact same boat less than a year. Except my rifle I had built, well still building is a 22-243 variant shooting the 75 or 80s. I just picked up a night force 3-15 and even though I haven't used it, I can tell it it will make an awesome scope. That will get you repeat ability, ruggedness, and your other features you were looking for. This brand is what I feel will get the most votes.

Just got my hands on a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 for my AR that I use extensively for calling coyotes. I was using a Vortex Viper PS-T 4-16 FFP. I had no complaints with the Vortex. It worked well and I was able to use it at night with some moonlight and a little snow with no problems. Only reason I switched was because I've always wanted a NF, not because I had any issues with the PS-T. Midway is having some good sales right now on NXS's as long as you don't want the MOAR reticle. Also, the 3.5-15x56 model is being discontinued so you might be able to find a good deal on one of those. Good luck!

Jaybic,

At a retail price of $950 the Rudolph C1 6-24x50mm with the T3 Illuminated reticle is very good "Value for Money".

99a82ff26d02901e14dc026887bec4e9_zps7ca7527f.jpg

Contact us at: [email protected]

OoOo etched reticle Rudolph?

Just saw the t1 reticle, oohhhh my thats a nice lookin coyote hunting reticle there, etched too it seems!

Whats the full elevation travel range on the tactical scopes with the exposed turrets?

Last edited:
Bishop,

All our reticles are glass etched.
The travel on our Tactical scopes are +\- 80 MOA, on the elevation and windage.

Kind regards

Rudolph Optics

My criteria is this:

A. Ranging capabilities using subtensions(first or second focal plane?) should my LRF not be willing to pick up the 750yd coyote on the hill side
B.The ability to dial after the range is determined
C. very repeatable
D. a ballistic reticle that I can use when I do not have time to dial...ie coyote leaving at 600 yards and its now or never....
E. Low light conditions

Nightforce all the way. I used them a couple of times on a 338 Lapua and then a .223 at a local range. Amazing scopes. With the 338 LM it was so easy to see the 1,000 yard steel plates...I use nikon monarchs though but only because I cannot not afford to scope all of my rifles with nightforce. I try to stay consistent with the parts on my rifles and its easier justifying to the wife a $450 scope as opposed to $1550.

Also, not to thread hijack but rudolph, can you send one of your mid priced optics to a sponsor or admin to do a test/product review? I dont think there is enough info out there on your product. Thanks for your time.

I would take a min. and check out what Sightron S-III's are all about. I think they are one of the best bang for your buck scopes out there. I have been running an 8-32X56 on a 300 RUM and couldn't be happier. Great glass and spot on tracking and the LRMOA reticle with it's target dot is perfect for critter gittin'. The S-III is every bit as good as my N.F. BR 8-32X56 NP-R1 and the Bushy HDMR H-59 3.5-21X50. Best of luck with your choice....It CAN be a bit crazy making.

I think a ranging recticle for coyotes between 6-800 yds is going to be more of a guess than an actual range. I'd just carry a range finder and go with the Zeiss. Or you might want to read up on that Burris eliminator. I think one of those Will be replacing a nightforce on my coyote gun. Nightforce is awesome but.....if your criteria is quick range and shoot the eliminator is significantly more efficient. And despite the observed bulk (odd shape) it's lighter than a nightforce. And comparing the conquest to the nightforce: I like the glass on the conquest just as much or more. Turret quality obviously goes to nightforce but I have had zero problems with my conquests. Zero stop on the new conquest restricts elevation dialing which may be a concern depending on your ballistics and max distance. Nightforce is ALWAYS the sexy answer around here. But sometimes it doesn't fit the intended use and personal preference of the individual.

Burris eliminators don't work IMO. There are too many variables that are not accounted for, shot angle and barometric pressure. I had one for a while and it just didn't work. The weather in western ND can be 40 one day and -30 the next which affects trajectory immensely. Buy a g7 rangefinder and a nightforce. This combination is hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.