Cheep scope for new rifle

I don't think Nikon is any better than a vx III. They are fine midrange price scopes. I am comparing them to my zeiss victory's. After owning some fine german glass I'm spoiled. If I can't see the deer by the light of a half moon it's not good enough for my main hunting rigs. I'm not rich and I will bleed hard these days to get the glass I want. As for my eyes, that is the problem, I see too well to not see that every thing has a faint yellowish tint when I look through a Leupold. It's their coatings. Their coatings manage veiling haze well, but at a cost. The original question was about a cheap scope. I think a refurbished Monarch is the best glass for @ $300.00.

I thought I would offer another idea that has an excellent record. I also like the fact that this product offers good eye relief in the 4'' range, along w/ top notch glass. The Sightron one or two is a scope to be proud of and that you can depend on. I've never herd a bad report and yes it's a step above the Revolution. You wont see this refurbushed because honestly they dont have alot of return problems.

You might take a look at the Optics Classifieds on this site or maybe 24 hour.....There are usually very good optics that are barely to lightly used that would be in your price range. I picked up a 3 month old Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS with the zero set elevation turret and elevation dot retical for under $400 a couple of months ago and LOVE it. there are deals to be had!

I like Nikons but for longer ranges the BDC reticle does not seem to be as precise as a dot reticle.

Dos Pesos....
Bill

+1 SidecarFlip, as that was a terrible comment to make even though I was the one suggesting an eye exam. The guy says his eyes are great and if that's the case maybe he is onto something. I can't argue with that reasoning because I'm **** near legally blind without my glasses on. All I'm going on is looking through my own Leupolds, of which I have quite a few, as well as what 99% of people that also have them say.

I was just agreeing w/ the fact that when someone makes a statement that leupold is not a good scope due to the clarity they may need an eye exam. Anyway, one thing I found out the other day is that my eyes dont just need glasses just for reading. When I initially received the revolution in the mail, I looked through it and the first thing I said was " it's not a clear as everyone else says it is". Then my wife said put your reading glasses on and try that. I was shocked at the difference. It was like night and day w/ the clarity. My eyes are pretty good for the most part but if I want to see the real product I need glasses. Anyone else out there ever look through a scope w/ there cheap reading glasses. I was shocked at what I was missing.

I shouldn't be so hard on Leupold. I shot most of the first hundred deer killed with a tange safety m77 ruger in 6mm remington topped with a vari-x III 3x9x40. It was a quarter MOA rifle all day! I can't believe I sold it !

sidecarflip, did millet make a scope ( buck gold ) that was worth anything. I herd good things about it but have no experience. Randy Wakeman said its a good scope for the money a good cheap scope for a new rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.