Cheapest of the higher quality scopes

This will be hunting. Honestly I do not have a preference as of yet. I have used Mil and MOA a handful of times but my current rifles only are equipped with BDCs and I have only shot to 400 or so yards. I want to start doing "real" long range hunting haha with adjusting for hold and wind and what not. This will be my first true long range scope. I will obviously practice lots before I attempt on an animal but yes, the goal is for hunting deer out to 600.

If you like the Vortex HS series, you'll like the Burris Veracity too. I have the 4-20x50 and am very pleased with it. For my eyes and intended use, the Burris is better than the Vortex.

Good luck!

Please advise where the OP can get them for his price range. I might be interested too. Thanks.

EuroOptic... Zeiss - Zeiss Conquest HD5 Scopes

The open box display scopes......opened boxes, but still have full factory warranty....CamaraLandNY has them at fair prices too.

The HD5's are really, REALLY good scopes for the money....I have one (3-15x42 locking turrets), I have looked through it a lot...dusk, dawn, dark, daylight, etc....very, very good glass...I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet though, its for a custom that is being built, but not finished yet (expecting the call any day now).

They are 1" tube scopes....which means they only have enough adjustment range for 1,000-1,200 yards or so (without zero stops installed)...and only that far in the flatter shooting rounds (7mm Rem Mag and similar)....16.5 MOA between the zero stops, enough for 800 yards with my rifle (280 Ackley)....not a true "really long range scope", but a very darn good 600-800 yard hunting scope...exactly what it was designed to be.

I picked up a SWFA 10x SS fixed for $299 (just for fun) and I'm shooting my little 6.5 Creed out to 600 without any problems. I was amazed at the quality of the glass! I went hunting with it yesterday afternoon and 30 minutes after sunset I could still see very well. Nothing but a few does walking around but still had a good time. I had a Vortex 6.5X20 and sold it! It was like looking down a dark oil drum compared to the SWFA. They make more expensive models and if they are as good as their cheap scopes I'm going to buy another one.

BigEclipse... I know you are looking for a good scope for the money and a lot of people have recommended Zeiss. I don't wish to diminish their experience with them, however, I also was thinking about a Zeiss recently because I love the glass, but an article from precisionrifleblog testing $1500+ scopes changed my mind, mainly due to its poor performance mechanically. They may have just got a bum scope... but it did sway my decision.

Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary & Overall Scores | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I ended up deciding on the Valdada and the Bushnell elite 3.5-21 h59 Found a good deal in a very lightly used bushnell that came with a Larue 111 and accuracy 1st level for $1250, so really, the scope cost me less than 1k.

I also have the Vortex Viper Pst FFP 6-24x50 and for the money... It's an outstanding scope but I have to admit that for the money... I'm glad I found that Bushnell.

BigEclipse... I know you are looking for a good scope for the money and a lot of people have recommended Zeiss. I don't wish to diminish their experience with them, however, I also was thinking about a Zeiss recently because I love the glass, but an article from precisionrifleblog testing $1500+ scopes changed my mind, mainly due to its poor performance mechanically. They may have just got a bum scope... but it did sway my decision.

Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary & Overall Scores | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I ended up deciding on the Valdada and the Bushnell elite 3.5-21 h59 Found a good deal in a very lightly used bushnell that came with a Larue 111 and accuracy 1st level for $1250, so really, the scope cost me less than 1k.

I also have the Vortex Viper Pst FFP 6-24x50 and for the money... It's an outstanding scope but I have to admit that for the money... I'm glad I found that Bushnell.

I remember that article >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...d-test-results-summary-overall-scores-141659/

Yes! I'll give you a great big thank you for that one Feenix. I wouldn't have gone with the Bushnell were it not for that article. It would have been between the Valdada and Zeiss. As things stand... I'm very pleased with my choice, minus no illumination. It's the one thing that I would have liked to see on the Bushnell, but it's a lower priority as compared to the other reasons which matter to me.

Thanks again for steering me to that article!

-James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts