Cheapest of the higher quality scopes

I have a fixed 10x SWFA classic mil-dot model scope on my F-T/R rifle. It has worked very well. It is rugged and repeatable.

Since the 3-15x42 MRAD model came out, I have wanted one and planned to purchase one. They had a pre-Xmas sale this year and I got mine for $560 shipped. It is a big, heavy scope weighing in @ 24oz. But, it also has features that make it a legit LR to ELR scope.

Check it out here:

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

I have a SWFA 3-15 x42 FFP, it is a great scope. I just ordered a Viper HS LR 4-16x42 for my cousin and a friend for 399.99 @, when they came in i took them out and put them next to my SWFA 3-15 and you could tell quit a noticeable difference in glass quality with a definate edge to the SWFA. i also have the SWFA 5-20x 50 HD FFP and that is a jump up in glass from both. That being said for the OP the SWFA 3-15x42 FFP would be my recommendation for 699.99 regular price and they will have a sale on tax day and probably be like 549.99 . The viper is not bad for the sale price that i got them for but for a little more you can get better glass, FFP, and way more durable scope in the SWFA 3-15. Ive used that scope hard and spin those knobs a lot and it has never failed to hold zero.

I have a SWFA 3-15 x42 FFP, it is a great scope. I just ordered a Viper HS LR 4-16x42 for my cousin and a friend for 399.99 @, when they came in i took them out and put them next to my SWFA 3-15 and you could tell quit a noticeable difference in glass quality with a definate edge to the SWFA. i also have the SWFA 5-20x 50 HD FFP and that is a jump up in glass from both. That being said for the OP the SWFA 3-15x42 FFP would be my recommendation for 699.99 regular price and they will have a sale on tax day and probably be like 549.99 . The viper is not bad for the sale price that i got them for but for a little more you can get better glass, FFP, and way more durable scope in the SWFA 3-15. Ive used that scope hard and spin those knobs a lot and it has never failed to hold zero.

I can't find a 3-15 model only 3-9x42

Never mind I found it haha

I can't find a 3-15 model only 3-9x42

Never mind I found it haha

For the same price range (it's probaby on sale now), checkout Burris 3-15x50mm Veracity Riflescope w/ E1 FFP Reticle FREE S&H 200635. Burris Rifle Scopes.

Another vote for the Sightron Siii.
I have the 8-32. Great glass and accurate repeatable turrets. Kevin Cram recomended the Sightron for my 260 target/ varmint rig and boy am I happy I listened to him. The only thing that would make it better would be the MOA reticle which wasn't offered when I bought mine.
My next scope purchase will be the Siii 6-24 w/ MOA-2 reticle. These scopes can be found for around $800.

My 9 pound(w/scope) STW wears a Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14x40 with M1 turrets and B&C reticle. It was everything I wanted in a carry weight western big game rifle when I built it (my first build) and is still my go-to rifle. Knowing what I know now I might make some changes to the gun specs and smith but the only change to the scope would be an MOA reticle for wind hold off and eliminate the M1 windage knob. I like the low profile of the 40mm objective, relative light weight, and the 4.5-14 is an ideal power band for my style of hunting (lots of miles and elevation change). I have complete confidence in the whole system and have taken game from 15 to 700 yards with it, and rocks/ targets to 1100.

I've since bought another VX3 (used) and had Leupold install a turret with the same excellent results. I'm considering a Kenton turret for all those older coin slot Leupolds that I have to see if I can breath new functionality into scopes I've had for years (decades).

I picked up a Zeiss Conquest with the Z-1000 reticle because it was a screaming deal and I thought I could make the reticle work for me. Great glass and turrets seem to be accurate /repeatable (I've only shot it during a load workup). I don't believe I'll ever like the reticle and may sell it, but would definitely consider another Conquest. Also hard to get used to the turrets spinning the opposite direction from my other scopes.

I bought a used Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 mil-dot with turrets to put on a Tikka T3 varmint 223. This combo consistently shoots itty bitty groups, the glass is impressive to me and the adjustments are repeatable. I'm not a mil-dot guy but for $275.00 what's not to love?
All the scopes I've acquired since I started twisting turrets have come from suggestions/ reviews/ recommendations I've read here on LRH and I haven't gotten a bum steer yet. My opinions on these scopes may all fly out the window the day I buy a Nightforce or Swaro.

I'd look at Vortex

I agree. Best low end scopes for the money. I hear great things about their higher end scopes too. But to be honest the NF NSX is the bottom of the barrel for the top end scopes. You said "cheapest of higher quality scopes"
Think about it... S&B 3500-7000, Kahles ~3000, US Optics ~ 3500 I saw the new Leupold was 4000... so it's an expensive neighborhood to live in.
I see A LOT of guys cut corners on optics and it all depends what you want or will want from your optic.
Good luck

l think we all need to save up and buy one of these
images.jpg

I have a Nikon myself really like it but I have read a lot reg the vortex. you may want o take a look at the vortex hs-t 4-16x44. a lot of *** reviews. I will be putting one on my ar for shooting out to 600-750. good scope for money and unconditional lifetime warrenty. just my 2 cents

For you long range guys that shoot to 600 yards, what are the lowest/cheapest model scopes you would buy that maintain zero, have reliable clicks/adjustments, and return to zero? I know Zeiss for instance is great but I simply do not have 1000+ dollars to spend on a scope. I am thinking of a budget between 400-800. Yes that is a huge range. I would love to only spend 400 but I understand it simply may not be possible for what I want so I am willing to save for a while to 800 if needed.

Could you please also recommend model and magnification levels

I would recommend a Vortex scope in 6-24. I use it on an AR platform rifle for 600 yard target shooting and it works well. The more magnification you can afford the better. I own a Viper and really like it. I think 24x is the highest magnification in any of their lines.

As an alternative, I am also a fan of the fixed power scopes for target shooting. You can get a used weaver t series scope for $325 or less in 36x. The T36 is about optimal for 600 yard target shooting. There is also a 24x model. Really quality optics. I had not seen anyone mention fixed power scopes and thought I would mention it. Most people target shooting rarely change the power settings on their scopes unless mirage is an issue. at 600 yards, mirage at 36x has never been an issue for me even in sunny, 90 degree conditions here in Minnesota during the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts