Changing color of wood stock?

jimisbell

I have a wood stack from ERG that has been dyed green/brown. I dont like the color and would like to return in to natural. Is it possible to bleach out the dye?

Yes, it is - as long as it has not penetrated too deep. A friend left a butt stock in a bucket of bleach overnight, next morning what he had was ready for the paper plant. I'd try rubbing instead of dip/soak.

I would start with alcohol or maybe acetone first and see how well that removes the color before I tried bleach.

CitriStrip works great for removing old finishes. If it is a laminated stock it may be difficult as the laminations are dyed before they are bonded together. The bonding agent will tend to hold the color in the wood grain. If it's a solid stock, it shouldn't be a problem to strip it and stain it a more pleasing color.

50 BMG for LDS.jpg

I helped a friend some years ago refinish a laminated Boyd's Remington 870 shotgun stock. It was grey/black(Pepper I think) and he wanted it green. We sanded it down to remove the clearcoat, then stained it with Minwax green stain, then put semi-gloss polyurethane as the final finish. It turned out great. The original black/grey color acted to enhance the grain appearance.

how deep is that green stain. i want to just sand it down to the original wood and then varnish it. now is the time to do this because with the broken shoulder i cant shoot it....lol

how deep is that green stain. i want to just sand it down to the original wood and then varnish it. now is the time to do this because with the broken shoulder i cant shoot it....lol
I texted my friend to see how the finish was holding up and asked him to take a picture of the green stock. He says it held up well but he sold the shotgun several years ago. The problem with sanding down to the "original wood" is that the individual slices of wood are stained through and through before lamination, so the color will remain even when you sand away the surface finish.

Usually the individual layers are dyed. Each strip in the lamination is infused with the adhesive used in the lamination process which may render the stock impermeable to another dye. Perhaps a contemporary paint job would look good. Would look great and much less issues. Good luck

Generally you can "over" stain with a darker color, but the results will vary.
I did a 3 gun style shotgun stock in the black "crinkle" truck bed paint from the auto parts store.
It offered plenty of grip and is durable with 2 or 3 coatings. You can touch it up easily.
I believe you can now get it natural earth tone colors