Wood Stock Question

rbecker08

I am fairly inexperienced with wood stocks but I want to put one on a Remington 700 I built with a Shilen barrel. The barrel is a little more then an inch in diameter so it is much thicker then a factory barrel. I can find thousands of wood rifle stocks with a standard inlet the question is, can this be opened up to the diameter I need while still free floating the barrel. Not sure if this will help but Brownells offers a Al bedding block to hold the action or I can pillar bed the action. The question is do I need a custom solution or will bedding the action and sanding out the barrel inlet work out. Thanks Rich

depends.....

With a wood stock (not laminate) I would recommend you have the action both pillar bedded and skim coated.

In terms of your barrel channel, you can sand it out so your new barrel will fit. You will need to make two judgements. First, measure as best you can to determine if you inlet the stock for the fat barrel, will there be enough wood left to be stable? Second, will it look ok?

Why put so much work into a wood stock when there are so many aftermarket options for Rem700's.

Getting one made takes 1/2 a year lol impatience least the wood ones.....I wrote Accuracy Innovations they incorporate the bedding block but the stability was my concern as well, not really experienced on how much wood is needed

Last edited:
Getting one made takes 1/2 a year lol impatience least the wood ones.....I wrote Accuracy Innovations they incorporate the bedding block but the stability was my concern as well, not really experienced on how much wood is needed

Custom stock would take months, but there are plenty of quality drop in stocks too - HS Precision, Bell and Carlson just to name two.

I'm not exactly sure how much wood is needed either. That's why it's a judgement.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.