Custom Wood Stocks

Jeff In TX

How many of you have had custom wood stocks built for a rifle and if you have who built it for you?

I realize in some ways time has moved past putting a beautiful wood stock on a fine rifle.

Well I'm going nostalgic. I'm getting ready to have a custom exhibition grade Walnut or exhibition grade Myrtle or Maple stock made for my 300 WSM LH Winchester Model 70 featherweight. Can't decide on which wood I like best. A feather-crotch or burl walnut stock is beautiful, but I've seen some Burl and Fiddleback Myrtle or Maple stocks that are beautiful. Too many choices! Any thoughts?

My plan is to have the featherweight stock duplicated right down to the checkering pattern, but in a beautiful piece of exhibition grade wood. I'm also thinking of adding a cheek piece.

Just trying to work out all the configurations.

There is not doubt that a well made wood stock on a quality weapon is a thing of beauty, if not necessarily the most effective material available for a stock anymore.

But seeing a well built wooden stock on a piece of steel is a joy in itself.

Keep us updated and show us pics when you get the chance!

Bill

I like the look of walnut, but like the reliability of synthetic. When I built my 9.3x64 on a LH Zastava Mauser, I wanted something with a classic look. I chose a laminated walnut stock made by Geoff Slee. The result was a finished stock that exceeded my expectations.

stock.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.