Bed a wood stock?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jdk81, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jdk81

jdk81 Well-Known Member

Would this be worth doing? I figure that the wood may warp/give and the epoxy would break. Is this true?

2. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

No. Wood stocks respond to glass/epoxy bedding better than most synthetics do. Most of the factory "synthetic" stocks are made of plastics that are not rigid, expand and contract as much or more than properly sealed wood, and are too slick for bedding compound to adhere properly.

The higher end fiberglass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks can and do outperform wood, but are expensive.

The cheap plastic OEM "synthetic" stocks are generally inferior to wood in nearly every respect. IMO, to outperform a properly bedded and sealed wood or laminate stock, you have to go with fiberglass stocks that incorporate an aluminum bedding block like Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillan, or Manners.

A wood or laminate stock responds well to bedding. A flimsy plastic stock is best replaced with a better quality fiberglass stock. Bedding work is comparatively inexpensive.

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Didn't we already go through all this yesterday?

4. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

I would say the OP wasn't in on the discussion, hence the question. I suppose one could always snarkily respond with, "Use the Search Function", but I have always thought that to be kind of a prigish way to treat a newcomer, so I went with the rehash.

Is this the thread you were referring to?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/wood-plastic-119782/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. jdk81

jdk81 Well-Known Member

We did have the conversation about the fiberglass high end stocks being better quality, but I never asked the question about bedding a wood stock. I will be bedding the stock on the 06 because grandpa will not allow me to put a bell and carlson on it because he hates the looks.

Thanks for all the help!