Carbon vs fluted stainless

Endless_prusuits

Looking for info on people with experience with both. Barrel will be 20" finished length sendero profile chambered in 300 wsm
What are the actual weight savings going carbon vs heavily fluted barrel?
Any reason other than weight to go carbon over fluted stainless?

Very little difference in weight between carbon steel and stainless steel, but you might notice a slightly faster cooling effect with the flutes. Carbon fiber wrapped will be more than a pound lighter. If you choose carbon fiber, I suggest you inspect it thoroughly each time you take it afield. I know I inspect my carbon fiber road bike every time before riding. one little chip or ding is all it takes.

Last edited:
Not sure why you want such a heavy profile barrel in steel, but maybe you should think like maybe 3B in Bartlein. CF barrels are cool, but don't provide any additional benefits that a steel barrel can't provide. And, forget about the myth that CF cools quicker than steel.…the outside might appear to be cooler, but that steel liner is smoking.

Not sure I agree with previous statements. What I can tell you for certain is if you compare a Wby 300 in the Backcountry 2.0 Titanium carbon #4 profile to the same 300 in the 2.0 Ti non carbon which is a non-fluted #2, the non-carbon is 1/2lb lighter. If you are talking a #4 or even a #5 sendero heavily fluted vs. a #4 or #5 carbon profile, I cant imagine with heavy fluting in only a 20" it would be 1lb heavier than the carbon?

Very little difference in weight between carbon steel and stainless steel, but you might notice a slightly faster cooling effect with the flutes. Carbon fiber wrapped will be more than a pound lighter. If you choose carbon fiber, I suggest you inspect it thoroughly each time you take it afield. I know I inspect my carbon fiber road bike every time before riding. one little chip or ding is all it takes.
You don't need to inspect it. Don't create inaccurate information. Your bike frame and barrel are not apples to apples. Not even apples to lemons.

Last edited:
Ok not a pound on 20" but about 10-12 oz.

Proof 308
1657571197274.png

Pac-Nor (fill in the blank calculator).
1657571567599.png

As mentioned above fluting should cool faster (more surface area)but the difference is pretty much not even measurable. carbon over steel weight saving will not be huge but is definitely measurable,but you gotta also look at the cool factor too! if you go to the proof research website you can see them zero rifle remove the barrel and beat a concrete block to death with it ,put it back and it still zeroed! at least with proof their carbon is very tough I've had 3 Bartlein stainless barrels and 3 carbon proofs that's the extent of my experience.

Last edited:
Yupp...It's like putting hot meat in a sleeping bag...
Of course I've heard rumors it cools faster,and I've heard rumors it's an insulator, and I'm not convinced of either I remain neutral. I like the weight savings stiffness and the looks but they do use carbon fiber brake rotors on Formula 1race cars. I have no complaints about the accuracy of any of the barrels mentioned.

Not sure I agree with previous statements. What I can tell you for certain is if you compare a Wby 300 in the Backcountry 2.0 Titanium carbon #4 profile to the same 300 in the 2.0 Ti non carbon which is a non-fluted #2, the non-carbon is 1/2lb lighter. If you are talking a #4 or even a #5 sendero heavily fluted vs. a #4 or #5 carbon profile, I cant imagine with heavy fluting in only a 20" it would be 1lb heavier than the carbon?
Alot of the reading that I've done and the information I've gotten from manufacturers seems to say the stainless fluted barrel may even be lighter than the carbon barrel. But real world experience is the best place to get info. That's why I posted here hoping that someone with first hand experience would chime in.