Carbon vs fluted stainless

This is going to be a hunting rifle, 20" 300wsm. If there is no weight savings I was trying to find a point to go carbon over fluted stainless. Rifle will be suppressed. Is there any advantage to the carbon barrel other than weight? From what I've seen I'm only looking at a savings of about 5oz in the 20" length
If weight savings is not a concern and you're looking at comparable contours between steel and carbon wrapped, there is no advantage. It has been explained to me that most people that choose carbon wrapped do so for the similar weight range as a smaller contour steel barrel while being able to run a suppressor and keeping a larger shoulder to run the suppressor up against on the muzzle…or the other reason being "it looks cool".

I've spoken with a few guys who've smoked proof barrels by getting them too hot and not realizing it.
One guy was a R&D tester at Rock Creek and he had the resin separate around the barrel as well
I don't understand how you can smoke a barrel that hot and not realize it ? I do know that I've have fired 20 rounds in a few minutes that is what you do in a match. but I've only shot a few matches that is probably why carbons are not popular for match shooting. although if you got it that hot that would definitely affect the steel barrel it just would not be as obvious. I like the looks, the weight savings ,the larger diameter ,but there is no magic barrel that will do everything each has its place. I have carbon on one rifle stainless steel on two others, I'm neutral I don't love them and I don't hate them.

It's all about looking cool…and chics dig scars…

8C812053-C940-4B2A-9DF3-D26240518627.jpeg

If weight savings is not a concern and you're looking at comparable contours between steel and carbon wrapped, there is no advantage. It has been explained to me that most people that choose carbon wrapped do so for the similar weight range as a smaller contour steel barrel while being able to run a suppressor and keeping a larger shoulder to run the suppressor up against on the muzzle…or the other reason being "it looks cool".
But the weight savings between a 20" sendero profile carbon barrel and a 20" sendero profile stainless barrel with 10 sprial flutes is 3-5oz.

But the weight savings between a 20" sendero profile carbon barrel and a 20" sendero profile stainless barrel with 10 sprial flutes is 3-5oz.
Ok. Other than weight, there is no advantage in a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and a fluted steel barrel of the same length and same contour.

Are you trying to convince me about something or just making a statement of fact based on your research?

I respectfully disagree. A hollow g-loomis or sage is not the same molecular structure or process. Neither a bike frame or rod is strengthened by SS liner.
A barrel also doesn't have a thick clear/resin to chip or crack or fracture the same way.
Thickness of fiber is not even close comparison.
This idea of needing to check your barrel for who know what is bs, no more than checking my moly barrel for rust. Basic care will do both fine.
It wasn't accurate information. I don't care which way people go. Apples and oranges
I am with you on this. Comparing a carbon fiber bike frame, a carbon fiber fishing pole, and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel is a ridiculous comparison. And I own all three.

Ok. Other than weight, there is no advantage in a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and a fluted steel barrel of the same length and same contour.

Are you trying to convince me about something or just making a statement of fact based on your research?
No wasn't trying to convince you of anything just asking if there was anything other than weight that would be a benefit to the carbon that I'm not seeing

David Boreanaz Nascar GIF by CBS

OP wanted to know of any benefits to carbon barrels over steel. There really isn't any. If you like the way they look, get one. If you don't, stay with steel as the weight savings isn't going to make or break your hunt. If your going to shoot long quick strings then lightweight shouldn't matter, go steel. My last three rifles were all built with CF barrels mostly because of running a can and they are hunting rifles. My next will be steel.

No wasn't trying to convince you of anything just asking if there was anything other than weight that would be a benefit to the carbon that I'm not seeing
The potential for one to have a better balance in a certain build over the other is always there but that gets very specific to the platform you're building on. Honestly, if weight is negligible due to your lack of preference, plenty would argue that the steel is actually the option that offers the advantage.

I own 4 CFW barrels. They stay so cold I store two of them in a large cooler I haul around when camping, hunting, and fishing.