Carbon vs fluted stainless

This is going to be a hunting rifle, 20" 300wsm. If there is no weight savings I was trying to find a point to go carbon over fluted stainless. Rifle will be suppressed. Is there any advantage to the carbon barrel other than weight? From what I've seen I'm only looking at a savings of about 5oz in the 20" length
A larger diameter at the same weight or less would be a plus especially when attaching a suppressor

Not CA Arms and was told by the barrel manufacturer that that doesn't happen. I just tossed the barrel in the corner and went to steel barrels. Folks in my squad (this happened at the Nightforce ELR last year) said they'd personally experienced it with carbon barrels.

Not CA Arms and was told by the barrel manufacturer that that doesn't happen. I just tossed the barrel in the corner and went to steel barrels. Folks in my squad (this happened at the Nightforce ELR last year) said they'd personally experienced it with carbon barrels.
So how did you determine separation? Pulled it.. tossed in corner instead of contacting manufacturer?

Last edited:
So how did you determine separation? Pulled it.. tossed in corner instead of contacting manufacturer? I'll buy it off you if you still have it.
I've spoken with a few guys who've smoked proof barrels by getting them too hot and not realizing it.
One guy was a R&D tester at Rock Creek and he had the resin separate around the barrel as well

I know you can't do the normal 600F for Ceracoat on a CF barrel or it will separate from the steel. My last one said not to go over 200F or you may have problems.

Last edited:
This is going to be a hunting rifle, 20" 300wsm. If there is no weight savings I was trying to find a point to go carbon over fluted stainless. Rifle will be suppressed. Is there any advantage to the carbon barrel other than weight? From what I've seen I'm only looking at a savings of about 5oz in the 20" length
Look at pics of both steel and carbon barrels suppressed. Only thing would be looks vs weight. Heavier profile will look better if that matters to you. That's where the carbon vs steel can be a difference.

There are many types of carbon fiber encased barrels. Most have the CF wrapped directly on a barrel that's been turned down to a skinny profile. Some "separation' problems where the CF comes away from contact with the barrel have happened with this type. There are several ways barrels are wrapped in CF (overlapping helical strands as PROOF Research does), or CF layered in various axis of CF fabric and/or tape or merely a CF fabric wrapping . Of these I like the PROOF barrels best for the uniformity of layering CF strands and the longitudinal strength of that "Maypole" wrapping. I have SWIX cross country CF racing ski poles with "Maypole" style wrapping and they are extremely stiff as well as light.
Also the various types of proprietary resins used make a difference in the CF wrap performance and longevity. "Buyer beware" is my advice when choosing a CF encased barrel. Do your homework as CF encased barrels are FAR from equal.

But a few CF wraps actually do not touch the barrel but are sleeved and touch the receiver and/or a small area at the rear of the chamber area and then again at the muzzle where they are capped by a threaded nut that literally stretches them, making the CF casing a tensioned casing.
Weatherby uses this latter system and it works very well. Personally if I were to get a CF encased barrel I would opt for this type to avoid possible delaminations and to cool the barrel better. In fact I feel those Weatherby rifles with titanium actions, CF stocks and CF tensioned barrels are about the most technically advanced hunting rifles on the planet.
Meanwhile I'm happy with my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro with its CF stock and stainless barreled action.
Eric B.