Bullets: No time for expansion...

BoomFlop

So I reached out to the people at Copper Creek about my search for a bullet that will give me better expansion at ranges under 200 yards from my 7mm-08's and 308 Win.

Some may remember my conversation with the tech at Berger stating I needed to slow them down as they do not have a chance to expand.

Well, Alan at Copper Creek stated the same thing. I do not know how a bullet fired from these cartridges (not magnums) at 100 yards do not have time to expand. You guys with magnums must get penciling out to 400 yards! LOL

I'm at a loss....maybe they are onto something....????

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• E08E5D3B-0CC5-4833-A52C-6CB19443B08E.png
    E08E5D3B-0CC5-4833-A52C-6CB19443B08E.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 248
Ok just my 2cents but from my experience from ground squirrels to moose..
the faster the bullet is traveling the easier they expand and sometimes to rapidly, .
lighter bullets going very fast explode
the higher the impact velocity the more expansion and terminal performance period!!
if I was looking for a great expanding bullet for the 308 it would be 150 scriocco or accubond and same in the 7-08

Last edited:
I call BS on those statements of "not enough time to open".

I have had ridiculously good results from several fast cartridges at close range with numerous bullets.
.300RUM w. 175 SMKs @ 3350, 210, 215, 230 Bergers @ 3100 from 50.
6.5SS w. 150 SMKs @ 3113 @ 12 yards on smallish game like jacks and coyotes.
6CM w. 105s @ 3101 from 15ish.
.25-06AI w. 115 HVLD @ 3450 from 25.

Barrelnut,

Berger makes bullets. That guy said it was going too fast and that I should use a 30-30 instead. No joke.

Steve
HA HA HA HA seriously!! how does a 308 and a 708 get a bullet going to fast!! and how does a lead tipped bullet like the core loc not expand!!! whats happening is the top part much like a partiton is peeling off and the shank is running through!! ive seen this is my 338 win mag and 338 ultra mag that's why I stopped shooting partitions and went to accubonds! shoot a deer in the shoulder with a 140 ballistic tip hauling *** and let me know what happens ha ha ha I would say that in your rifle the opposite is happening its not going fast enough for a more structured bullet to expand and it needs to have more velocity

I use to shoot 250 A frames in my 338 ultra at just a smidge over 3000 for 300 and under work and they would peel back and look awesome on the ones I found, they would shoot length wise through big bulls and leave an exit the size of a golf ball but have since switched to accubonds.

one of the deadliest and most violent killing bullets ive ever witnessed personally was a 180 gr swift scriocco II leaving the muzzle at 3415 FPS out of my 300 ultra mag. never had one fail to open and had a bunch go through smaller critters but exits were usually fist sized !! it would flat pancake stuff same thing goes for a 225 accubond around 3200fps stuff …

Last edited:
Several years ago I had an old reloader load me some 110gr hollow points for my 7rm....and slower fps...i wanted to see what it would do to a deer at close range in brush....coastal blacktail buck at 30 feet...broadside thru lungs...did not exit...but that bullet opened up like a Pepsi can...kind of
un-rolled if you will.....perfection....decimated the lungs and cavity..absolutely nothing to the meat.....drt......
Shot a raccoon with same load at 100 yards....took the front of that coon and rolled it inside out.......it was awesome to see.......little entry...no exit.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.