bullet expansion test results

I just went through many pages of your testing tonight and all of the photos were available. Hmm?

Really? I get the standard photobucket upgrade your account image. I guess as long as everybody else can see them I'm fine with it.

Just read through the thread, holy smokes... Thank you for the testing Yorke, Steve, and everyone else. The information in this thread is enlightening and has opened up discussions on variables most wouldn't really consider. Definitely has me reconsidering twist rates for future rifles, and bullet selections as well. Testing like this at least gives us a baseline on what a bullet will perform like, although usually better when on game it certainly seems. I would love to see those new Match kings tested as well, I've heard good reports on game with the 183gr 7mm and 110gr 6mm.

Last edited:
Nice work! I would like to see the results of your test procedure with the Berger 140gr Hunting VLD in 6.5. This bullet is probably one of the most used LRH bullets in the prolific 6.5 variants. Long range 700-1000 yard impact velocities run 2000-1800FPS respectively for the mid-powered 6.5x284 producing 3000FPS muzzle velocity. A comparison of this bullet to the previously mentioned Hornady ELD-X would be very interesting.
Ditto on this. Thanks for the work and the detailed write-up.

Tell me more please, as that is one sexy looking bullet!

Tom
I have personally tested it at a muzzle velocity of 3200fps and at a range of 200 yards with an impact velocity of 2950fps. I ran it head to head with my beloved 230 Hybrid target and the 225 ELDM for comparison.

My intent was to simulate an elk shoulder with the setup being a half gallon of water followed by a 2x and then several more gallon jugs of water. It performed awesome showing Berger like fragmentation but still able to penetrate well. It performed just as well when I removed the board to simulate a softer, armpit shot. Again it fragmented impressively but penetrated deep as well.

I would not hesitate for a second to use this square on an elk shoulder or armpit at this range. The big test for me will be the slow speed impact test down in that 1500-1600fps range. I'm picking up some Trailboss today and hope to have that test complete in the next week.

Good info! Your reduced load to see "IF" it will expand at 1500' will be valid because it will expand easier at the same impact velocity, at distance, when fired from a full power load......rich

Last edited:
Good info! Your reduced load to see "IF" it will expand at 1500' will be valid because it will expand easier at the same impact velocity, at distance, when fired from a full power load......rich
That was my thought too Rich. Not a perfect test without being fully stabilized but it should give me an idea. My SG should be around 1.42 out of this 9 twist at 1500'.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.