Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed no one has asked this, but, have you chronographed them. .
My 223 will fully penetrate a gallon milk jug of water at 300 yards with a cup and core non explosive bullet.
I think you got a slow batch of soft bullets. Definatly Chronograph them.

My 223 will fully penetrate a gallon milk jug of water at 300 yards with a cup and core non explosive bullet.
I think you got a slow batch of soft bullets. Definatly Chronograph them.

I haven't, just because the drops are good out to 500 so if they were slow then the drops would be off...

I will though just to know.

I think you got a slow batch of soft bullets. Definitely Chronograph them.

A slower expanding bullet would be even more apt to penetrate the jug of water than a higher speed bullet at these kind of MVs. The slower bullet may not explode the jug as violently, but it should penetrate deeper because the frontal expansion area will be smaller in diameter. I was going to suggest pulling a bullet and weighing one to see if they're short-changed on lead, but I gathered the trajectory seems to be correct. Maybe there's some powdered lead in them - on the order of lead pixie dust. That's about the only plausible explanation I can think of.

Because I believe any 100-plus grain lead-core expanding bullet I've ever shot out of any of my .25 to .375 caliber rifles would always have either pass-through penetrated a gallon jug of milk at 300 yards, or left the plastic jug in such tatters that it would be impossible to know if the bullet exited the off side or not. I think even the explosive varmint type bullets would at least explode the jug, when starting out at this kind of MV.

To fire two bullets and find them both laying there next to, or under, the jug is unreal. Which is why I'd love to see video. It's the kind of video Nosler would likely pay good money for, in order to keep the video OFF the internet Forums... if you know what I mean...

Might as well be a video of their bullet failing to pass-through penetrate an empty cardboard box.

Last edited:
I really don't like it when bullets don't behave. Thats why I shoot TSX bullets. And never had any problem with the original X bullets but I killed lots of game with them. .and I hate ruining good meat with soft bullets.
I can't imagine how a 270 bullet at standard velocity would not obliterate a gallon milk jug of water at 300 yards even with a 130 gr GameKing.

What is really bad is the report of a 250 gr 338 bullet misbehaving. A friend of mine uses then deer hunting on Douglas and Admiralty Is. Real densely populated brown bear islands. A 250 grain 338 bullet should penetrate 3' or more in game.

A slower expanding bullet would be even more apt to penetrate the jug of water than a higher speed bullet at these kind of MVs. The slower bullet may not explode the jug as violently, but it should penetrate deeper because the frontal expansion area will be smaller in diameter. I was going to suggest pulling a bullet and weighing one to see if they're short-changed on lead, but I gathered the trajectory seems to be correct. Maybe there's some powdered lead in them - on the order of lead pixie dust. That's about the only plausible explanation I can think of.

Because I believe any 100-plus grain lead-core expanding bullet I've ever shot out of any of my .25 to .375 caliber rifles would always have either pass-through penetrated a gallon jug of milk at 300 yards, or left the plastic jug in such tatters that it would be impossible to know if the bullet exited the off side or not. I think even the explosive varmint type bullets would at least explode the jug, when starting out at this kind of MV.

To fire two bullets and find them both laying there next to, or under, the jug is unreal. Which is why I'd love to see video. It's the kind of video Nosler would likely pay good money for, in order to keep the video OFF the internet Forums... if you know what I mean...

Might as well be a video of their bullet failing to pass-through penetrate an empty cardboard box.

Very True Paul.

Now that you mention it, that's absolutely right. Even more weird that the milk jug wasn't damaged.......weird like a triple breasted two toed sap sucker! Again, now that you mention it; I am remebering a day when a good friend of mine shot about 8 milk jugs full of water at around 300 yds with a 25-06 and a 22-250........they all were quite impressive explosions as viewed through the binoculars and the jugs never would've held more than a cup or two of water again. Funny the things we sometimes forget until a converstion brings it up.

I just went and did a little test outside my back door as this thread has my attention as the 7mm 140 AB has my attention for my 280AI. (between the 140 AB and 150 SCII)

As hunting season crept up on my and i wanted to use the new 280ai for whitetail this fall my load development stopped and i went with a load that was giving my good accuracy. ( .284 150gn Swift Scirocco II, 60.gn H4831sc, 2910MV). I took a 2.5yr old at about 150yds this past week with this load and didnt get complete penetration so i was having my doubts on the swift bullet. The bullet did encounter spine and a shoulder though and was stuck in the far side hide. weight is 126grns or 84% rentention (pic 1)

To the point...

I just went outside and shot this round into a 5 gallon bucket at 100yds. Bullet didnt stop. The bucket was upright at the shot but wanted to show the damage to the bucket. (Pic 2)

So the only logical thing to do was to line up a pair of 5 gallon buckets and shoot again. Still couldnt stop it. the 1st bucket this time completely split, the 2nd split but didnt explode open like the 1st. (pic 3)

You certainly have something wrong with those Accubonds.

Attachments

• 1201121425.jpg
    1201121425.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 1201121415.jpg
    1201121415.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 1201121420.jpg
    1201121420.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 71
Yeah this isn't adding up. If these rounds were the correct velocity, and dumped ALL the energy into the jug such that it didn't even penetrate it, then the jug would explode. Hell a 9mm will explode a jug at 1/8th of the energy the 270wsm.
Soft bullets have nothing to do with the missing energy here.

Yeah this isn't adding up. If these rounds were the correct velocity, and dumped ALL the energy into the jug such that it didn't even penetrate it, then the jug would explode. Hell a 9mm will explode a jug at 1/8th of the energy the 270wsm.
Soft bullets have nothing to do with the missing energy here.

Exactly, something doesn't add up. I was looking thru my scope when he shot and the jug didn't even move so I figured it was high. I said aim at the bottom of the jug, he sent one and I saw the impact in the dirt and mud was thrown up on the jug. We hadn't had any rain so at first I thought his first shot just nicked the bottom so the jug was leaking, but when we walked up on it it was dead center and the bullet was in the jug when he picked it up.

It makes ZERO sense to me!!! We'll shoot it again this week and get video of it.

We've shot btips into water jugs at 300 and 350 yards. They always went through more than 1 jug. Cartridges were 270, 30.06, 308, and 7mag.

I've never ever had a problem with btips. The ONLY deer I ever lost while hunting with a firearm or muzzleloader was shot with a 140 AB out of a 270 at 45 yards. This is back when the AB was new and Nosler was having problems with the tips breaking. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but I only need to be burned once to shy away from a bullet. I haven't used any ABs since. Right now, my thoughts are if I ever use another bonded plastic tipped bullet it will be a Swift Scirocco, hands down. It's a better bullet in my experience. Shoots faster, kills quick, has better BC and to the best of my knowledge, Swift was the first to have a bonded plastic tipped bullet. I love 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.