Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Corelokt and NAB hasn't failed me in your test range.

BTW, you're the one that made the comparison and was just agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that a premium AccuBond "elk" bullet should have went thru a milk jug at 300 yards. If it won't go thru a single milk jug it would never make it thru an elk and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them until I find out what the problem is with them.

I'm just saying that a premium AccuBond "elk" bullet should have went thru a milk jug at 300 yards. If it won't go thru a single milk jug it would never make it thru an elk and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them until I find out what the problem is with them.

... and that's exactly why I refer you back to what has worked for you in the past.

I don't shoot milk jugs anymore cause it's just to hard to get usable info from them, I built a bullet catching rig that I can catch multiple shots with in water with no length issues. I mostly test on deer and elk, it's the only real world data that is of real value and trumps all other testing IMO.
The 140 Accubond from a 270 WSM is proven solid performer in moderate range, I haven't shot them in 2 years because I was looking for a bullet that opened slower but opened aggressively when it starts opening, I don't want a bullet to exit bit it can not open on the surface. The 140/150 Berger or the 165 Matrix give me the performance I want for elk and they extend my range well past what an Accubond will allow, especially the 165 Matrix.

... and that's exactly why I refer you back to what has worked for you in the past.

Okay...but that still doesn't say why a $55 box of premium ammo performs so poorly...

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down. This is my Dad's rifle (Benelli R1) and we were getting ready to head back to Nebraska when we were shooting jugs. Then when we saw that it didn't even pass thru and didn't even go into the ground we started thinking about the last two deer he shot with it. The gun stayed home and he used my MRI .270 Win with Bergers and Powermax's.

Okay...but that still doesn't say why a $55 box of premium ammo performs so poorly...

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down. This is my Dad's rifle (Benelli R1) and we were getting ready to head back to Nebraska when we were shooting jugs. Then when we saw that it didn't even pass thru and didn't even go into the ground we started thinking about the last two deer he shot with it. The gun stayed home and he used my MRI .270 Win with Bergers and Powermax's.

Perhaps you have a bad load batch. Have you considered addressing the issue with Winchester along with your reports/field experiences?

I use 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs in my. 270 AI.

Perhaps you have a bad load batch. Have you considered addressing the issue with Winchester along with your reports/field experiences?

I use 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs in my. 270 AI.

Yes, I'm going to send them an email once I get video of it.

What twist does your .270 have for the Matrix's?

Yes, I'm going to send them an email once I get video of it.

What twist does your .270 have for the Matrix's?

Lilja 30", 3-groove, 1:8 twist. The recommended twist is 1:9 for the 165 and 1:8 for the 175. However, IIRC,, a member had the 165 stabilized at near sea level with 1:10 twist. I don't remember his load specs or it's win or WSM.

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down.

Not exiting a doe at 330 shot behind the shoulder does not seem right, I can make the Accubond open down to the base but I have never had one not exit even elk and I guarantee I shoot them faster than factory ammo. That's not normal for an accubond on game, that would get me more worried than the water test. I've shot bullets that blow in the first few inches in water but on game they drive through like an auger. It would be interesting to see what Nosler says, have you tried the Nosler forum? Some good guys over there, they may know of a soft batch or something.

I'm awaiting the video. You sure your 1-gallon jug isn't kevlar-lined and full of curdled milk? :D

Please video at close range and post your video.

I am kinda thinking along the lines of BignGreen on this one..........Bad batch of bullets. I've heard that water alone will make bullets expand moreso than live targets but still, something doesn't seem right. Sounds like apapro might have got some soft batch cookies too.

It's highly unusual IMO for a 140 grn bullet to not exit a broadside lung/heart hit deer at 300+ yds. Also highly unusual for a dead on shot at 30 yds to not make the vitals, hell that's only a few inches of penetration! I've shot big muleys at <50 yds broadside with 115 Nosler Ballistic tips and got full pass throughs with 2" exit wounds. This past season I got my biggest whitetail yet at <100 yds with a spine hit right behind the shoulders with a 140 Berger.......it not only passed all the way through, but broke the spine so badly that I could fold the buck in half over backwards. There was alot of meat damage to the backstraps and upper shoulders area too, which is no suprise.

Base on my experience with bullets of 140 and lighter, they definately should penetrate deer further than what you've experienced lately. Definately something that Nosler/Winchester needs to hear about. I'd also be interested to see the video if you get it.

Hope you get some answers and some free replacements from Nosler/Winchester.

I am kinda thinking along the lines of BignGreen on this one..........Bad batch of bullets. I've heard that water alone will make bullets expand moreso than live targets but still, something doesn't seem right. Sounds like apapro might have got some soft batch cookies too.

It's highly unusual IMO for a 140 grn bullet to not exit a broadside lung/heart hit deer at 300+ yds. Also highly unusual for a dead on shot at 30 yds to not make the vitals, hell that's only a few inches of penetration! I've shot big muleys at <50 yds broadside with 115 Nosler Ballistic tips and got full pass throughs with 2" exit wounds. This past season I got my biggest whitetail yet at <100 yds with a spine hit right behind the shoulders with a 140 Berger.......it not only passed all the way through, but broke the spine so badly that I could fold the buck in half over backwards. There was alot of meat damage to the backstraps and upper shoulders area too, which is no suprise.

Base on my experience with bullets of 140 and lighter, they definately should penetrate deer further than what you've experienced lately. Definately something that Nosler/Winchester needs to hear about. I'd also be interested to see the video if you get it.

Hope you get some answers and some free replacements from Nosler/Winchester.

That's what got us thinking, because my little 105gr Berger exited on a shoulder shot on a doe at 500 so when the AccuBond didn't was really weird. And if the Berger didn't exit I would be okay with that because they are suppose to expel all their energy quickly, but of course an AccuBond isn't.

I haven't tried the Nosler forum (never knew about it) I will take a gander over there. Thanks.

It''s been raining for the last few days and not suppose to stop till Tuesday, so once it does I'll get some good video. One camera set right next to the target and the other from shooting position.

Thanks Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.