FAIL SAFE BULLETS

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by gettheleadout, Dec 28, 2006.

1. gettheleadout

gettheleadout Member

I got a good deal on Nosler Combined Technology Nosler bullets. They are 30 caliber in 150 and 165 grain. Can anyone give me any info on them for me? Thanks

2. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

One of the toughest, most complicated and elaborate as well as expensive bullets ever made. They use a solid copper front hollow point with a steel upside down cup just past that, inside the steel cup is a lead core with a tungsten cap on the back end of that.

Complicated little critter huh!!!!

I shot one buck with them many years ago and it killed him, but expansion was very lacking. I would only use them on larger game or go for the shoulder blades on anything else you shoot.

take it easy
    steve

3. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

The Nosler CT bullet was the first premium bullet I tried. I bought a box of 7mm I think they were 140g for a hunt in Wyoming for deer. I had a nice buck come in 20 yards from my stand shot him 2 times just behind the front shoulder he ran around 200 yards with little blood. Exit wound was small maybe ¼”. I was not impressed and have not used them since. Rifle I was shooting was a 7mm mag. Maybe someone has had better luck.

4. 308warbird

308warbird Well-Known Member

I have used them in Africa a couple of times. Extreme penetration and good acurracy in most of the guns I tried.

I shot a zebra with a .270 and got complete penetration. Same thing with a buff and a .375 H&amp;H.

I have shot a few deer with them in various calibers and never lost a deer but they will not give rapid expansion like a B-tip or a Gameking.

In my opinion, They are a great elk or larger game bullet.

5. gettheleadout

gettheleadout Member

Thanks - I think I'll just use them for paper killing because of their small expansion.

6. thebolt

thebolt Active Member

My son and I used them on Elk with tremendous success. These have put them down better than any other bullet I have ever used. I've seen 30+ elk shot with a large variety of premium and factory bullets during my hunts. I will continue to use the Fail Safe Bullet.

7. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Now I read this! I just ordered 5 boxes of .30cal. 150 grains, at Midway $13 a box right now.

8. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

Failsafes are being phased out in favor of the new XP3 Win bullet. Failsafes are harder to keep good quality control because of all the steps necessay to manufacture. They seem to work on large animals where deep penetration is desired. Not the best bc in the world.

9. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

The Fail Safe bullets were very costly to manufacture.

A prem heavy big game bullet. Made to bust shoulder blades of elk/moose/bear.

The Partition Gold is another heavy game bullet with better BC.

Both very accurate .

10. Frank in the Laurels

Frank in the Laurels Well-Known Member

Nothing even listed, I just checked ...

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

12. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

The Fail Safe a great bullet for Africa and Alaska on heavy game.

13. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

From what I can find they stopped production on the XP3 as well which is too bad because they are an extremely well designed bullet.

14. Swamplord

Swamplord Well-Known Member

the 160 gr Fail Safe in 7mm Rem Mag works on moose, although I prefer the 180 gr 30 cal in the 300 RUM, just dumps moose so much faster ...... still got some original 180 gr Lubalox Fail Safes and a bunch of the Combined Technology moly coated bullets along with their 180 gr Partition Gold bullets , still prefer the Swift A-Frame in in 8mm Rem Mag for moose, now that was a perfect combo.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rrlAo-HyM