trigger fail?

ARlife4me

Has anyone on a bolt action cycle the bolt fast enough that it bypasses the sear? This of course with it NOT being a trigger issue, only wondering if it has been done? Maybe the trigger pull weight being low could cause this or the pin jump the sear/hammer?

Man- you must be really good, full auto rifles cycle at 750+ rpm and don't "jump the sear"----- sounds like you have a different problem somewhere--- sticking gummed up over oiled part, weak spring, didn't fully cycle bolt , worn part, etc.

It would help to know what action you are talking about too, as some bolt actions cock on opening, some on closing ......

Check ur sear engagement on your trigger , some triggers are adjustable. Some not
model of action or trigger would pin point more advise .
a way of safely checking the trigger after adjusting ,is to close bolt and lightly bounce butt of rifle off floor with barrel vertical .
if trigger doesnt release , the sear has enough sear engagement and trigger has enough spring weight 1.5 lbs or heavier
i like 2 lb triggers for precision shooting

Man- you must be really good, full auto rifles cycle at 750+ rpm and don't "jump the sear"----- sounds like you have a different problem somewhere--- sticking gummed up over oiled part, weak spring, didn't fully cycle bolt , worn part, etc.

It would help to know what action you are talking about too, as some bolt actions cock on opening, some on closing ......
👍

Has anyone on a bolt action cycle the bolt fast enough that it bypasses the sear? This of course with it NOT being a trigger issue, only wondering if it has been done? Maybe the trigger pull weight being low could cause this or the pin jump the sear/hammer?
The only time I had an issue similar to what you are describing is when I tried to install a Timney trigger on a Accutrigger. It appeared that the timney was not long enough where it engages the sear, to engage the sear consistently no matter what the trigger pull weight was set at. I had to watch it with my magnifying glasses to see what it was doing. Due to time constraints at the time I just pulled it our and reinstalled the accutrigger. I good reminder to send the trigger back to Timney. No problem with other Timney triggers I have installed on my rifles including another on a Savage 110.

On my savages with the accutrigger it happens if the pull weight is set too low. I usually try to set them just to the point where I can't get it to trip no matter how fast or hard I cycle the bolt.
A rifle that has a trigger pull that is too low is a danger to all around you. I have seen cases when the rifle will fire when simply releasing the safety. This is not always with the muzzle pointed in the safest direction. 2 1/2 to 3 pounds is light enough for a hunting rifle, 1 1/2 on a target rifle. If you can't fire the rifle without disturbing the sight picture with the trigger set to those minimums you are jerking the trigger and no matter what it will disturb your shot. Be safe, not sorry. 😵‍💫

The only time I had 1 fire without pulling the trigger was on a pistol. I made sure there was nothing in the cylinder when adjoining. Regardless of action or manufacturer this was only a question, not for a fixable issue I have. Just curious if it has happened?

What I don't know is on the adjustable ba triggers does the sear have LESS contact with the pin? OR is it mechanically done/changed elsewhere?