Bullet choice for moose

I am not trying to put anyone down, but I will just add this. The Gunwerks guys use to push Bergers as hard as they are pushing the ELDX now! I use both bullets and actually like both of them in their own way. For moose, with a 270 caliber, I think there are better choices out there, especially if you are likely to be shooting under 400 yards, which you probably will. Some that come to mind are the Swift bullets, both scirocco and A frame. Nobler partition or accubond, or even one of the mono bullets which I normally don't recommend, mostly because I shoot a lot at long range. I killed a Shiras with a 140 partition in a 6.5 and it worked well.......Rich

The thing that is hard to get around in September is the position of animal for the shot. Calling a bull in close is a great experience. But all you have for a shot is front or quartering front of the animal. You will have to wait and hope you can get a broadside shot. On a big Alaska bull you will have a foot of meat and bone in its shoulder protecting the heart lung area. The heaviest 270 bullet your rifle will shoot accurate, Nosler partition, Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX.

Barnes 150 TSX,150 SwiftA-frame& noslers 160 partition, throttle them up,use that horsepower & sharpen your knifes !!! me likes long range as much as anyone, but that doesn't aways work to plan . Congrats and great hunt to you!, jjmp

When there's huntin' and killin' taking place, a fellow can't go wrong with the good ole' Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX is about as good as it gets...after all you are trying to hit a beach ball sized kill area !!

having a 27 nosler and shooting 170 bergers you will have way to much velocity for close range stoots. I have hunted moose in british Columbia they are big animals with a lot of body mass. get a stronger bullet. have been playing with the 156 hammer bullets and they look promising.

I am a moose hunter, shot 140 barnes triple shock for years and killed many moose with it out of a 280 AI. This year I am stepping up to the 168 barnes LRX.

I am not trying to put anyone down, but I will just add this. The Gunwerks guys use to push Bergers as hard as they are pushing the ELDX now! I use both bullets and actually like both of them in their own way. For moose, with a 270 caliber, I think there are better choices out there, especially if you are likely to be shooting under 400 yards, which you probably will. Some that come to mind are the Swift bullets, both scirocco and A frame. Nobler partition or accubond, or even one of the mono bullets which I normally don't recommend, mostly because I shoot a lot at long range. I killed a Shiras with a 140 partition in a 6.5 and it worked well.......Rich

I can't believe Partition hadn't been mentioned yet.

Just wanted to post pics of my result. The hammer 156 did a great job at 730 yds. We tried calling him in but he already had 3 cows and he didn't want to leave them.

Definitely a hunt of a lifetime. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on which bullet design to use

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1474776184274.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474776184274.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 77
  • FB_IMG_1474776155755.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474776155755.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20160913_164218141.jpg
    IMG_20160913_164218141.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 57
  • FB_IMG_1474776140728.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474776140728.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
great moose. how did the hammer bullets hold up were you able to recover the bullet. have been playing with that bullet and they shoot. your the first one I have herd of harvesting any thing with them. we need more info if you would post some bullet performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.