Pick a moose bullet for reload

GSoD

Hey all,

So I'm really getting into this reloading thing. I'm pretty close to nailing down my target round where I'm using 175g Sierra Matchkings (its getting somewhere between .5 and .7 MOA).

My attention is now turning to my fall Moose hunt and developing a load for that.

Any practical use experience suggestions on bullet? Last year I used factory Federal with Nosler partition with great success (two dead moose two recovered bullets).

But now that I'm looking to make my own I've been subcumbing to the Barnes Triple Shock video animation. Of course there is also the Sierra Gameking and just about everything else under the sun.

I'm looking for reasonable accuracy but am more focused on deep penetrator, big expansion and weight retention. I'm not overly worried about price because I won't be running through these like target rounds. After the load development I may not fire more than five a year.

I'm shooting .308, 26" barrel and I would say maximum moose range would be 300 yards (I took one at that range last year and don't think I'll be going much further than that) and minimum would probably be 75.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey all,

So I'm really getting into this reloading thing. I'm pretty close to nailing down my target round where I'm using 175g Sierra Matchkings (its getting somewhere between .5 and .7 MOA).

My attention is now turning to my fall Moose hunt and developing a load for that.

Any practical use experience suggestions on bullet? Last year I used factory Federal with Nosler partition with great success (two dead moose two recovered bullets).

But now that I'm looking to make my own I've been subcumbing to the Barnes Triple Shock video animation. Of course there is also the Sierra Gameking and just about everything else under the sun.

I'm looking for reasonable accuracy but am more focused on deep penetrator, big expansion and weight retention. I'm not overly worried about price because I won't be running through these like target rounds. After the load development I may not fire more than five a year.

I'm shooting .308, 26" barrel and I would say maximum moose range would be 300 yards (I took one at that range last year and don't think I'll be going much further than that) and minimum would probably be 75.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you load up your .308 with 44 gr. of Reloader 15 ( work up slowly) and put it behind a 180 gr. Speer TBBC your moose will face about 2700 fps (mv) of high penetration high weight retention chaos on impact. which if accurate placed will equal one dead moose anywhere within your 300 yard target zone.

That is one answer to your equation. There are many more for you to search out. You might also try going to HuntingNet.Com - Deer Hunting, Bowhunting, Hunting Outfitters, Hunting Gear, Elk Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Hunting Guides and looking at all the loads they have there for your .308.

Lots of other combinations

"I'm looking for reasonable accuracy but am more focused on deep penetrator, big expansion and weight retention"

How about the 180 gr Nosler Accubond? It should be everything you are looking for. Good luck on load development and your next moose!

Last edited:
I've never found moose to be a problem to put down. At .308 type velocities I've used standard 165gr bullets with no problems, used Speer Hot-cor last season. A hunting partner of mine uses 180gr SST's exclusively out of his .308 for everything and has dropped several of them. Both of us have 20" tubes though on our .308's. With the extra velocity you can get out of yours I would step up to a stouter 165gr bullet like an Interbond or Accubond or stick with the 180's

i'm with CapDog, they're easy to kill. it just takes them longer to fall over. don't keep shooting them if you know they're hit well. 4 more in the chest won't make em fall over any faster. never shot many in the chest, their head and upper neck are so big it's usually an easy shot. best thing is not messing up the meat. moose meat is about the best there is!

put a 150 TSX in that thing and you'll have more than enough for a moose. i wouldn't shoot a 180 out of a 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.