7SAUM Moose bullet choice?

I hunted for 6 weeks with my bow and ended up shooting my Moose in Montana with a 7mm 140 grain Corelokt bullet out of a 7mm Mag on the last day at 26 yards. I have been on three different moose hunts and in my experience they are not exceptionally hard to kill. Any good bullet in the boiler room should do the trick. Of course there is always that one time and as you said this is a once in a lifetime hunt. I would not trust a match grade bullet for my once in a lifetime hunt, just my opinion. There are so many good 7mm Hunting bullets out there. Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, Barnes TTSX, Berger VLD's, Hammers the list goes on. In my experience the Hammers have been extremely easy to get shooting very nice groups in all of my rifles as long as you match the bullet to the twist rate of your barel. Since you are on a short time frame you may want to try some of those. I would bet you can have them shooting good in your rifle in no time and the folks at Hammer are very easy to get in touch with and very helpful. All seem to be a better choice then a match bullet. Again, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and please let us know how you do.
Hammer bullets are MIA in my neck of the woods. Never even seen one.
I have a box of 168g LRX'S, but maybe 140's would be better.

Here is there website address, they will have bullets to you usually within a couple of days of ordering. I am not abdicating that these are the right bullets for your set-up. I just know they have been very easy to get shooting in five of the rifles I have tried them in and all of the data I have collected seem to point to them workiing very well from small varmints to large game in Africa. I personally load them in my 300 PRC and my 6.5 PRC. I am a huge Barnes fan also so I don't think you could go wrong there either. I have personally killed several elk and lots of deer using the TTSX bullets from 100 grain bullets in a 257 Weatherby to the 180's in a 300 WSM. All one shot kills and no lost animals out to 450 yards. Best of Luck.

Only thing I worry about is close range. In my experience close range they grenade.
Exactly! No way would I use anything other than the Barnes or a heavy for caliber controlled expansion bullet. Moose hunting is usually in very thick and dense brush and you're calling them into your location. A target bullet has no place there. Your shot may be at 10 yds or a couple hundred, go with a tough bullet. I called my moose into 13 yds before I had a clear quartering on shot.

Perhaps you should consider two bullets if you have time to test them up to snuff.

A high B.C. heavy (175 ABLR, ELDX, 180-195 Berger, etc) as well as a tougher bullet (Accubond, Barnes, Hammer, etc).

Zero your rifle for the long range bullet, so that if an extended range shot presents itself, you're ready. Since the tough bullet is meant for close in, even if it's not perfectly zeroed, you can still thump the beast inside a couple hundred yards.

This has been my strategy the few times I've elk hunted with my 300WM. I carried a 200 gr Accubond in the pipe while trudging around, but had a 208 ELDM handy in the event I could set up for a longer shot. Rifle was dialed in for the 208, but the 200AB was "close enough for government work" out to 300 yds.

Perhaps you should consider two bullets if you have time to test them up to snuff.

A high B.C. heavy (175 ABLR, ELDX, 180-195 Berger, etc) as well as a tougher bullet (Accubond, Barnes, Hammer, etc).

Zero your rifle for the long range bullet, so that if an extended range shot presents itself, you're ready. Since the tough bullet is meant for close in, even if it's not perfectly zeroed, you can still thump the beast inside a couple hundred yards.

This has been my strategy the few times I've elk hunted with my 300WM. I carried a 200 gr Accubond in the pipe while trudging around, but had a 208 ELDM handy in the event I could set up for a longer shot. Rifle was dialed in for the 208, but the 200AB was "close enough for government work" out to 300 yds.

I had a friend that followed your line of logic.....though, he was not as thorough as yourself with proving the two different bullets had similar zero's at the shorter ranges. His first and last elk hunt was a dismal failure! Wounded an elk, shot many times at longer ranges at a fleeing elk....using everything in his array of hunting ammo Another hunter witnessing the debacle, ended the elks suffering. The elk hunter was quite embarrassed, but, learned a valuable lesson. He apparently determined that elk hunting was not in his "wheelhouse",nor his ability to use his ammunition properly.....as he gave up elk hunting!

While the multiple bullet process can be used effectively......we prefer the KISS system. The wife and I use one cartridge, one bullet, and one zero for "all" of our big game hunting! Yah, boring I know.....but darn effective! memtb

FWIW, my 2 fishing guides in western Ontario over the last 17 years generally take a moose each year using a 30-06 and 180gr Coreloks.
That being said, my favorite hunting bullets are Hammer Bullets. Absolutely devastating on game. I load them in 7 different cartridges

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts