7SAUM Moose bullet choice?

My favorite rife is a 7 SAUM. Over the yrs I've killed 3 moose and last year in africa 3 eland which are a bit bigger. The eland were all killed with Berger 180 gr bullets leaving the rifle at 2900 fps. 2 were one shot kills and the 3rd I put a 2nd bullet into although he likely didn't need it.
I also like the 160 gr Accubond. The Barnes bullets should also be good choices.
Bruce

My favorite rife is a 7 SAUM. Over the yrs I've killed 3 moose and last year in africa 3 eland which are a bit bigger. The eland were all killed with Berger 180 gr bullets leaving the rifle at 2900 fps. 2 were one shot kills and the 3rd I put a 2nd bullet into although he likely didn't need it.
I also like the 160 gr Accubond. The Barnes bullets should also be good choices.
Bruce
At what ranges??

At what ranges??
The first eland was at 470 yds. The 2nd at 520. Those were in the southern part of RSA and are Cape eland. The first was a cow and the 2nd a bull. As big or slightly bigger than a Shirus moose. 1 shot kills. The 3rd was a Livingstone eland bull. Big bull. 75 yds broadside and hit on the shoulder as instructed by the PH. He made it perhaps 75 yds and turned broadside again. He was probably going down, but I hit him again. One of the guys with me thought he was close to 2000 lbs. I'd say over 1600. Bigger than either of the cape Buffalo I killed a couple of days before.
Bruce

The first eland was at 470 yds. The 2nd at 520. Those were in the southern part of RSA and are Cape eland. The first was a cow and the 2nd a bull. As big or slightly bigger than a Shirus moose. 1 shot kills. The 3rd was a Livingstone eland bull. Big bull. 75 yds broadside and hit on the shoulder as instructed by the PH. He made it perhaps 75 yds and turned broadside again. He was probably going down, but I hit him again. One of the guys with me thought he was close to 2000 lbs. I'd say over 1600. Bigger than either of the cape Buffalo I killed a couple of days before.
Bruce
75 yards is definitely close and that's good to know the bullet worked.

Bruce

Did you use Bergers on the Cape Buffalo?

On the cape buffalo .375 is minimum caliber in Zambia. Berger only makes a solid in the .37 caliber. I used Swift A-frames. Awesome weight retention and mushrooms.
Bruce

I expect to have my 7SAUM back with only a few weeks till my once in a lifetime WA moose tag. It is being chambered for 180ELDM's/VLD's. I am looking for some feedback on if I the ELDM would be fine. Any shot over 100 yards will be with my SAUM, but my intentions are to use my bow and the rifle is last resort. I have ELDM's already and know they will shoot, I have access to some 168g Barnes LRX's as well. Thoughts???
Here is what works in mine. I run 160gr. Accubonds pushed by 54gr. H4350 makes one ragged hole at 200 yards. Was lucky enough to find a box of 160gr Nosler Fail Safe from a few years ago and these also work great! Photo shows 3 accubond and 2 fail safes at 200! Be safe Good Luck!!

Attachments

• D03F1D6E-7F30-43FB-AE32-CE5F7E0086BD.jpeg
    D03F1D6E-7F30-43FB-AE32-CE5F7E0086BD.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.