Bullet choice

johnmyers

Working up loads for new 7-06ai. I have Sierra 150gr sbt Game Kings and Berger 168gr Classic Hunter probably not shoot over 600yds. I'm new to both of these what's your experience with these for deer. Thanks for any info

Not a fan of the SGK's... Shot a few deer with them back in the day, but never was overly impressed. And in the last instance, it ruined so much meat, that I stopped using them altogether after that.

I have not used the Classic Hunter bullets, but I do shoot Bergers almost exclusively. I have shot a few deer with the 168 VLD's out of my 7mmRM, and was very impressed with their performance. One shot was just inside of 200, and the other just shy of 300 yards.

I'm more of a fan of the 140gr. sierra pro hunter than either of the others... I've never had one let me down, even put one through the hip on a running whitetail on a raking shot at about 300 yards once. The pill held 60% and killed the critter. I shoot a couple of berger pills but do not hunt with them. I usually kill stuff with hornady, sierra, and nosler pills. They have always worked well for me, so why switch.

Sierra game bullets doing too much damage and Berger's don't? COME ON MAN.
I have killed a few hundred deer with Sierra bullets and never lost one and never had the damage done that a VLD does. After shooting one deer with a Berger VLD, 155 gr 30 cal out of my 30x47 at 2600 fps muzzle. Deer was shot at 111 yards broadside. I stopped using the VLD. You could watch a movie on a wide screen through the hole it blew through it and the deer ran off 50 yards into a THICK cut over. Out of the 7-08 the 140 Sierra pro hunter is a great bullet for deer. So is the 154 Hornady Interlock or SST. I did crop damage control for 15 years where my buddy and I had to take 100 deer a year off a big farm. Learned a lot about different calibers and bullets.

Sierra game bullets doing too much damage and Berger's don't? COME ON MAN.
I have killed a few hundred deer with Sierra bullets and never lost one and never had the damage done that a VLD does. After shooting one deer with a Berger VLD, 155 gr 30 cal out of my 30x47 at 2600 fps muzzle. Deer was shot at 111 yards broadside. I stopped using the VLD. You could watch a movie on a wide screen through the hole it blew through it and the deer ran off 50 yards into a THICK cut over. Out of the 7-08 the 140 Sierra pro hunter is a great bullet for deer. So is the 154 Hornady Interlock or SST. I did crop damage control for 15 years where my buddy and I had to take 100 deer a year off a big farm. Learned a lot about different calibers and bullets.

I never said I lost the deer...I've only lost 1 game animal EVER, and it was while bow hunting, and we found it the next day. This particular incident (the last dance I had with the Sierras) was a 160 SGK from my 7mm STW at about 150 yards on a whitetail. Mangled up the aft shoulder so bad we had to scrap the whole shoulder into the gut pile.

The Bergers, one was shot in the lungs, damage was perfect as advertised. 2nd shot was in the shoulder, straight through the heart...Did virtually zero meat damage. Don't know how...But that's how it went down.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.