bullet choice?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by steffen, Mar 18, 2008.

1. steffen

steffen Member

hi
    i am new to this forum and long range hunting.

i have a .300 Wby Mag i would like to try out on long range work, but i have no idea on what bullets to go for.

i need one bullet for practicing and one for allround hunting, can you guys please recommend me some bullets to try out, and what weight?

2. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I use 180 gr Barnes TSX's with excellent results. I'd like also to try some Berger VLD's in 190 gr and 210 gr Accubonds.
    The heavier bullets will often give a higher BC. That with the extra weight of the bullet can help streach out your shots.

3. adam32

adam32 Banned

210gr Berger VLD.

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

all the bullets mentioned are certainly good long range bullets. they cost more than others also. what bullets can you get over there? the Nosler ballistic tip would be one of the cheapest and most accurate bullet for doing a lot of shooting/practise. i think 180gr is the heaviest made in 30 caliber. other than Lapua, what bullets are popular in your neck of the woods?

5. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

The 208 Hornady A-max or the older 178gr A-max are good bullets and will get the 300Wby to 1k

6. steffen

steffen Member

for training purposes i have heard of many who uses Berger VLD, Sierra MK, Hornady A-Max+++

for hunting i've looked on TSX, Nosler BT/Accubond, Swift Scirocco+++

i usually do my shopping trough Midway Norway, and they stock bullets from these producers:
    A-Square
    Barnes
    Berger Bullets
    Combined Technology
    Hornady
    Lapua
    Norma
    Nosler
    Oregon Trail
    Remington
    Sierra
    Speer
    Swift
    Winchester
    Woodleigh

7. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

OK, that's pretty much the same selection we have. now tell us what critters you want to hunt, and how far you want to shoot.

8. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

I have had great results with barnes and they are VERY accurate i toured their factory this fall and their QC is unmatched