Bullet choice

tayhot

These bullets all shoot great out of my 300 RUM and I want to narrow it down.

200 gr Accubond
180 gr TTSX
180 gr E-Tip
185 gr Berger

Decisions, decisions

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. If it was me I would go with either the 200 ab or the berger just because i have used them before. I'm sure any of them would work for whatever you want to do. Just my .02

Last edited:
If you tell us a little about your intended use we can help you narrow it down.

For example, if you're shooting medium (whitetail deer) sized game within 300 yards, it probably won't make a bit of difference what bullet you shoot.

If you're shooting thicker animals up close, you might prefer the Accubond or TTSX depending on if you favor penetration over expansion for lethality on big game.

Then again if you're shooting any size animal at long range (beyond 600 yards) the higher BC and frangible expansion of the Berger will really shine.

Truth is they'll all work, but some might work better than others in certain applications.

-Bryan

If you tell us a little about your intended use we can help you narrow it down.

For example, if you're shooting medium (whitetail deer) sized game within 300 yards, it probably won't make a bit of difference what bullet you shoot.

If you're shooting thicker animals up close, you might prefer the Accubond or TTSX depending on if you favor penetration over expansion for lethality on big game.

Then again if you're shooting any size animal at long range (beyond 600 yards) the higher BC and frangible expansion of the Berger will really shine.

Truth is they'll all work, but some might work better than others in certain applications.

-Bryan

Bryan,

Maybe this isnt the right place to ask. I dont intend to hijack the thread. Anyways, I have been under the impression that the Berger hunting Vld's need 1800 FPS to do their job. Is that true or am I miss-guided here? What is the impact velocity requirments?

Thanks,

M

Tayhot,

If the E-Tip shoots as well as the TTSX, I would scratch the the TTSX. That's a no brainer. The E-Tip has a better BC and is a tougher bullet.

Of the 3 remaining, I would go with the 200 AB or 180 E-Tip because I like a more controlled expansion bullet, but that's just me. Between the E-Tip and the 200 AB I would pick the one that gets farthest down range with 1800 fps based on their MV and BC. If they both went close to the same distance, I would pick the bigger 200 gr bullet because it will deliver more thump down range.

If you like Bergers, I would try the 210 in the RUM, if you haven't already. It will pobably give you a little more range than the others.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Michael,

1800 fps is the minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion of the VLD's. Not that they won't work slower than that, just that they're reliable above that.

There are other bullets that have the same impact velocity threshold, but with a higher BC, the Berger's get a little farther downrange before they slow to 1800 fps.

-Bryan

The bullet will be used for deer, elk, and black bear. I'd like to find one bullet for all three. I know there may be on better suited for deer and not elk, and visa virsa. To me long range is 700-800 yards, I havent practiced much beyond that yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.