Bull elk @1302 yards....

GG,

Nicely done, I know you wanted to get thunder out in the field, but it was great of you to provide the LRH opportunity to someone else who normally wouldn't have had one.

GG, great story, congratulations to the whole team.

I wonder why you have the thunder zeroed at 326 yds.. that´s 300m, are you getting into the dark side ( metric system)?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know nothing about elk but this one sure looks like a very nice bull...any idea on the score?

Awesome story and pics GG! Thanks for transporting me out of Ohio for those few minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

According to your charts with the load you used, how much energy was left when it hit the elk @ that range? If the answer is in this thread already, I apologize.

One little tidbit from the hunt that goodgrouper and 7mmRHB left out is that about half way inbetween where the shot was taken and where the elk was we spotted two black bears, it was so cool to watch them we forgot to get a camera out for a pic. It is the first time I have seen black bears within eye shot of where I live ever !!!!
7mmRHB mentioned it was a burn area, but he did not mention that when it grew back it was 5 times thicker than before,it took 4 hours to hike the 1302 yards. the bullet made it in less than 2 seconds,quite a contrast.
UB

Congrats to all! Great story and awesome pics.

That picture showing the line of the shot says a thousand words. Great shooting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...any idea on the score?

[/ QUOTE ]

330-340? Hard to tell without a profile view. Give us the numbers, GG! I will be shooting the 225AB out of my 338RUM in less than a month in Colorado, hopefully into a bull that big.
Congratulations to everyone involved in that hunt!

To all who have responded and to those who will:

Thank you for your kind words. I hope it was a post that was as fun to read as it was to be in the hunt.

Since there were and will probably be many more questions, I will try to answer each briefly.

Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, I hauled the modified varmint rest all the way from the truck to the kill site. I was going to set it in the ravine just to the left of the bull but after going into it, I knew if I set it down, I would never find it again because of the thickness of vegetation. So I had about 35 pounds of stuff in my pack plus the 15 lb rest going up and the same coming down plus about 25-30 more pounds of meat! It kicked my tail I'll tell you!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.