700 yard bull elk

GG, since you normally shoot the 300SMK I would really like your assessment of the 225 NAB.

I am sure that you have seen shots at this range and if it not too much trouble I would love to hear how the two bullets and their wounds compare.

Unlike you, my shots tend to be under 300 yards, but 700 yard shots can't be counted out. I personally like the NAB since it does not fail me at near point blank range, but I do worry about it as it falls below the magical 1800 fps boundary.

Not looking for arguments here just impressions.....

Not sure how the talented shooter is related to you, but she certainly needs to be in more of the pictures :)

edge.

Yeah, for the first time in a long time the shooter is better lookin' than the bullet.:D

Great bull!

Goodgrouper.............Mate that is Gold you should be very proud of her , and its a cracker bull as you say, plenty of character in those old antlers.

The bullet ........well what can you say the folks at Nosler would say "told you so " Im sure but thats one very impresive end result , I would not be changing big game bullets any time soon.

Thanks for sharing this with us (Nice looking Rifle too by the way).

GG, since you normally shoot the 300SMK I would really like your assessment of the 225 NAB.

I am sure that you have seen shots at this range and if it not too much trouble I would love to hear how the two bullets and their wounds compare.

Unlike you, my shots tend to be under 300 yards, but 700 yard shots can't be counted out. I personally like the NAB since it does not fail me at near point blank range, but I do worry about it as it falls below the magical 1800 fps boundary.

Not looking for arguments here just impressions.....

Not sure how the talented shooter is related to you, but she certainly needs to be in more of the pictures :)

edge.

Edge,

I really like the 225 accubond. It has never failed me and the performance has always been textbook mushrooms at all ranges. I do believe it is stouter than the 300 gr SMK but it's never been too stout. Always has good wound channels and massive damage.

If I'm hunting by myself, I tend to use the 225 AB instead of the 300 SMK as I can spot my own shots because of the drastically reduced recoil. The 300 SMK rocks the boat a bit too much to spot my own shots under 900 yards or so. I guess I just lucked out that both bullets have the same POI in my rifle at 100 yards so all I have to do to switch is plug the right bullet and speed into the computer.

Congratulations!!!
Nice bull.
We know for you 700 yards is not long range, but some of us have never killed anything that far.
I have to tell you I have been waiting to read your story for your Elk hunt this year, and I am expecting something around 1500 yards or so. After your 1406 yard cow elk from last year, you can get better.:D
Congrats again and keep us posted.

Thanks Huainamachero.
Unfortunately, I did not draw a single tag this year for myself so the ultra long range story will have to wait. I guess I could buy a spike tag but I think I'm headed to Colorado for a benchrest tourny that weekend instead. Paper don't taste as good but it's sure easier to pack out!

Neat bull, WTG, thanks for sharing...Old green thunder has been piling them up for a while now, what is the round count on that thing?

I just looked into the primer carton I have set aside for the thunder and it only has one box left in it now!!!! I better take it easy! 900 rounds and still cleaning good though.

Way to shoot Megan!!! Nice bull and nice shot in a pouring rain storm, with a big audience of guys to put the pressure on you. Well done!!!

Good job GG and the Thunder!! I think it's Blairs turn next, isn't it ??? ---- RHB

I was really proud of Megan that day and the whole hunt. To bag a bull like this on her second to last day of her hunt and with an audience of guys and the pressure and all, she really did well. This gun ain't like her 308 winnie at all and she handled it well.

Tag number two is now filled. See accompanying story.