Building Bullet Up!!

Heya Broke okie... One of the things about the 215 VLDs... is that most people run them long... close to the lands and it appears that for many... This combination works well for these bullets. However, the vld hybrid 215s have been developed specifically for folks such as yourself, that want to use a mag, and not short stroke :D your vld.

There's a gentleman here that did extensive real world tests on the vld hybrids in 30 cal and posted a years worth of examples about his experiences with them. After reading through his posts... It's made the top spot on my list for my next bullet purchase... that is when they come available. Right now I'm single feeding my 300 wm with vld hunting rounds and very happy with their accuracy and performance... But like you... I want them to fit my mag. Good luck and I'm sure you'll find the right bullet for your configuration.

I'll see if I can find that thread about the 215 hybrids and post the link below. He had an easy time getting a good load from them and was impressed by what they did in the field.

Heya... Found it before the edit option disappeared from this post. Here's a great read and some insight into the 215 hybrid...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Thanks J. I have read about half that article and it is very impressive. Unfortunately, with my factory mag the max the OAL I can go is 3.5". This is the kind of stuff that I want to figure out before I build my rifle.

The load for the rifle in that thread has an over all length from case head to bullet tip of 3.630" and they will feed from a standard magnum 700 Rem BDL mag box. My rifle is chambered with a "Tactical Match" reamer and throated a bit longer than some with VLD's or Hybrid Ogive Bullets in mind. My load is -.040" off the lands. But this would not stop me from trying them seated for your mag box at 3.500" I have seen plenty of rifles shoot Hybrids or VLD's well over -.100" off the lands. In fact I worked up a load this week for a rifle with 180 Berger Hybrids and it was -.180" off the lands and shot a few groups in the .3's at 100.

What you need to do is measure your chamber to the Ogive to see how the rifle is throated. Then you will know how far off the lands you will be to use that short DMB.

Funny, all this said and my rifle will feed from the box but we never use it. I load one and lay a couple more along side the rifle while prone. Thus the reason my new rifle is a single feed. It only takes a second longer to toss one in and close the bolt. We try to never be in a hurry for a long range shot and if you don't have that extra second or two in the rare event a follow up shot is needed you are in trouble anyway. Rushed long range shots just don't work out too good.

I don't remember loading more than one at a time for any of those 20 animals in the thread.

Jeff

I just did some checking for you. There is enough bearing surface on the 215 Berger Hybrid to seat it to 3.5" in a 300 win case. Now these are only rough measurements but that should put about .150" of bearing surface below the shoulder / neck junction. Plus the boat tail. This will take up some case volume and will most likely cost you a little velocity. But the 215 Hybrid has proven to me to be a fast bullet due to its short bearing surface. I think you could make it all work. At least worth a try. Gotta love those darn detachable mag boxes, especially on long action rifles.:rolleyes: :D

Jeff

That maybe so, and maybe something I end up doing too, but for right now I want to build the gun with the option.

I understand completely, but would consider looking at longer mag box options. I just would not invest the money on a new long Range build, around a long action, with a short DMB.

Just food for thought.:)

Jeff

Thanks for responding broz... Mighty kind of ya. As to going with bottom metal from accurate mag... Sounds like a great idea okie. If you are building a rifle... Seems like this would be a **** good option, expanding vs limiting your possibilities.

That's what building is all about isn't it, not being saddled with what the factory churns out so you can have exactly what you want.

Sounds good to me. Good luck on your build... And straight shooting.

-james

I just would not invest the money on a new long Range build, around a long action, with a short DMB.

Just food for thought.:)

Jeff

I hear that!

As far as I have found, the Accurate Mag for savage has up to 3.775"ish of useable mag length. I haven't figured out how much the Accuracy International mags have, but those seem pretty popular too. I just don't want to retrace steps..... which is the whole point of this thread.

Thank you very much everyone, I know it's hard to deal with newbs and I appreciate your patients :)

...... Seems like this would be a **** good option, expanding vs limiting your possibilities.

That's what building is all about isn't it, not being saddled with what the factory churns out so you can have exactly what you want.

-james

This ^^^^^^ and the whole "Oh, you bought yours? I built mine with my own hands....." :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts