Building Bullet Up!!

Broke Okie Ty

Let me start this with a disclaimer: I am new to the rifle building and reloading thing and really want to learn. I have always just bought guns/ammo from (insert box store here). I am equating the question I have to what I know, which is car/trucks. Now, when I build a car/4x4/ect, I start with the motor. Build a good motor, then a good chassis around that.

I have a bone stock savage 111 in 300wm. I was thinking I would start by getting load ideas that way when I re-barrel I can order it in the correct twist . The first round being for elk/bear with the 215 berger hybrid and the second 185 berger hybrid for mule deer/down to cats.

Is this sound thinking OR am I way off base?

EDIT: Also I am open to any advice. I am not here looking for affirmation or validation of my thoughts.

So the 215 isn't to big for mule deer? From what I understand the build may not like the Bergers. From what I have read, I could end up going through a dozen bullet/powder combos to find the right one. Can you direct me on comparable bullets? There is so much info out there that I am have a hard time sifting through it.

why wouldnt it shoot the 215? I own plenty of savages to say that it should shoot it just fine. I havnt had a problem with any of my savages shooting berger bullets. I have some with factory barrels and some with aftermarket barrels, all seem to shoot them great and were easy to find a load for.

So the 215 isn't to big for mule deer? From what I understand the build may not like the Bergers. From what I have read, I could end up going through a dozen bullet/powder combos to find the right one. Can you direct me on comparable bullets? There is so much info out there that I am have a hard time sifting through it.

You might find link below interesting and useful. The load work up for this 300 win took 9 shots if I remember correctly. There are pictures of 20 Big game animals taken with the 215 from a 300 win. Elk, deer and antelope at all distances. I suggest WW or RP brass. A FED GM 215 M primer and start with 73 gr of H-1000 and work toward 77 looking for pressure. Seat a 215 Berger Hybrid .005" off the lands and work up the charge weight. Then fine tune working back from the lands. Many shoot well from -.010" to -.040" off the lands. Long thread but should answer some questions for you.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Best of luck and good hunting.

Jeff

If you choose to go with the 215's your rifle will most likely be a single shot. My max COAL in my 110 stagger feed is 3.4". If you have a center feed you may get an extra 0.10" which probably won't make much difference.

why wouldnt it shoot the 215?

I don't know, that's why I am asking...... I have read a lot of threads that guys have tried a lot of different bullets looking for the best accuracy. Some of them were paper punchers, but I would assume the same holds true for hunting rounds.

I saw that while that researching. I just haven't had time to read 43 pages.

If you choose to go with the 215's your rifle will most likely be a single shot. My max COAL in my 110 stagger feed is 3.4". If you have a center feed you may get an extra 0.10" which probably won't make much difference.

That's no good. I measured my mag and I have 3.5" so say-ith my stanley tape. The DBM is an uncompromisable must.

Start development at max mag length and work back seating deeper and you will find a sweet spot I promise. Especially with the hybrid design...

Start development at max mag length and work back seating deeper and you will find a sweet spot I promise. Especially with the hybrid design...

Trust me, he has next to no room to seat them deeper. At 3.4" the ogive is almost at the brass. But more power to him if he can find a box to play with.

I am going to ask the savage shooters forum guys if there is a DBM set up that works with the savage LA and the 215. I have only gotten to page 24 of that write up, but the evidence is very convincing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.