Help building a long range set up

Thanks again ohiohunter. My original budget was around $1, 200 (without scope). I'm looking at around $1400 currently because I'd have to buy some extra equipment I didn't anticipate. This will be built from the ground up. My main reason for ordering a custom barrel and a Choate stock separate, as opposed to going with a Sendero or equivalent, is because I want a 28" bull barrel. I already have a couple rifles for packing around. This one will be used for setting up in a hillside and waiting til something shows.

Also, I visited with Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and he recommended upgrading to a Rifle Basix trigger.

Thanks again ohiohunter. My original budget was around $1, 200 (without scope). I'm looking at around $1400 currently because I'd have to buy some extra equipment I didn't anticipate. This will be built from the ground up. My main reason for ordering a custom barrel and a Choate stock separate, as opposed to going with a Sendero or equivalent, is because I want a 28" bull barrel. I already have a couple rifles for packing around. This one will be used for setting up in a hillside and waiting til something shows.

Ok, gives us a better idea of your goal. Well then I think you should still be able to come in close to 1200. I personally prefer an adl style over a hinged plate, its less hassle IMO, and it will lower your overall cost. Shop around for a used savage action but make sure it is not a flat back.

barrel 350
stock 200 less if used.
action 300 maybe less, again talk to jim I think he sells stevens actions for 250..** ask him this would be another area to save b/c its a good price minus the trigger of which you will replace anyways.
components 225
If you have the tools you could screw on the barrel yourself.

Last edited:
I would consider a rem 700 action thats been blueprinted and trued a full custom. The only other option is to get an aftermarket action like a stiller but a remington thats had all the work done is just as good in my opinion.the stillers and bat are just a little bit thicker in material with the rail machined into them.

I would consider a rem 700 action thats been blueprinted and trued a full custom. The only other option is to get an aftermarket action like a stiller but a remington thats had all the work done is just as good in my opinion.the stillers and bat are just a little bit thicker in material with the rail machined into them.

Custom actions have tighter tolerances than the 700. Thats something you simply cannot change. The 700 is a production action, fact. How many bat actions do you own? If a 700 action is a custom action than every action on the planet is a custom action. You can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

Lets not derail this thread like you did the last one with your "opinions".

This is good stuff. I appreciate the back and forth. I'll give Jim a call and find out about that Stevens action. He said he has a Savage 111 tr xp3 (low end model) for $400. I'd have to get a new frame assembly and mag bottom to make it fit a Choate stock, and of course an upgraded trigger, but otherwise I was hoping that would work. However, I'll look into the 700 actions as well.
Do you think there's much of a difference between the Savage 111 and Remington 700 action?

This is good stuff. I appreciate the back and forth. I'll give Jim a call and find out about that Stevens action. He said he has a Savage 111 tr xp3 (low end model) for $400. I'd have to get a new frame assembly and mag bottom to make it fit a Choate stock, and of course an upgraded trigger, but otherwise I was hoping that would work. However, I'll look into the 700 actions as well.
Do you think there's much of a difference between the Savage 111 and Remington 700 action?

I'd be shopping for a savage 110, I don't see any reason for messing w/ bottom metal on a budget build. Like I said, I like the less complex adl if it is an option.

There is a huge difference. Available components goes to the 700 hands down. I like working a 700 action more than the savage. Down the road you can upgrade the bolt to a ptg which is another huge improvement. I like the fit and finish of a 700 more. There is a reason a lot of gun maker's rifles are cleaned up 700 actions that sell for 4-5k, I haven't seen anyone selling savages like that. The 700 will be the closest to a custom without getting a custom, BUT a lot would argue why not just get a stiller?

Stiller has all the frills of a worked over 700 and then some, plus better resale value at a small cost over the 700. Hell maybe even cheaper if you pick one up used LIKE THE ONE ADVERTISED FOR 700! Like I said, I'd be all over that if I were in your position, but I don't need another rifle at the moment. Heck there is a rem 5r 300wm that I'd be all over too, but I fully understand you want what you want.

Custom actions have tighter tolerances than the 700. Thats something you simply cannot change. The 700 is a production action, fact. How many bat actions do you own? If a 700 action is a custom action than every action on the planet is a custom action. You can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

Lets not derail this thread like you did the last one with your "opinions".

A blueprinted 700 action is definately not a production action for one. This is also a internet forum that u dont own or run so u can suck it if u dont like my opinions.

To the op whatever u build will be ur gun wich is worth more then anyones opinion on action choices. Ur original idea with savage could very well outshoot any full custom gun. Building ur first rifle is all about trial and error. So go with ur gut and when it shoots .25 moa u will be even happier with doing it on a budget. Forums are good for ideas and advice but we sure dont know everything and the only way to become a more knowledgable shooter and builder is to do it. Dont just do what others tell u just build the gun u want to build and have that satisfaction. Yout savage build could be one of the best shooting rifles in the country so go for it.

A blueprinted 700 action is definately not a production action for one. This is also a internet forum that u dont own or run so u can suck it if u dont like my opinions.

Ok, I have a blueprinted 700 action to trade for your BAT action. I know I'll be taking a loss on this deal, but I just like bat actions and helping out fellow members.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and by all means voice them to help the op, but don't be so opinionated that the thread veers off topic. Feel free to start another thread if you wish, I'll let you :D

Lol. I like the banter. As for the gun, you guys have given me some very helpful info to work with. From talking to you and Jim and Northland (thanks for the suggestion to call him), I think I'm on the right track. Again, thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.