cleaning up SMK bullet tip?

Dr. John

I was just wondering. one thing I noticed is that if you look at the tips of SMK bullets, the edge around the small hallow point is irregular. just seems to me that this should effect accuracy. has anyone taken the time to just slightly square off the tip to help accuracy? in a world where everything associated with a cartridge will affect accuracy if not uniform, it just seems to me like this should be an obvious correction. I was just wondering if gently filing the tips of these bullets to make them uniform would help.

Dr John, I do believe that David Tubb of long range fame has a tool which is specifically directed at this obvious little trouble spot. I do think that as one eliminates the variables, one shoots tighter groups or further first round center hits.

Yep Tubb makes a tool that makes all the bullets tips concentric and even with one another , I've heard that it does slightly drop the BC of the bullet but making all the bullets have the same BC which I believe is a better trade off anyway

I have the one dave makes as well... lowers the B.C. a bit but you gain a bit of consistiency... nice tool easy to use....

and Dave is just one hell of a nice guy too.. give him a call....

Dr john,I have made 4 different designs of meplat trim tool as a progression to try for the perfect bullet tip..Long story short the latest version is nearly the same as the unit Dave T sells for $40,follow the prompts by Crowmag..My bullets are fairly blunt,don't have BC figures but they lose only 1/2 a minute in elevation @ 1000yds from trimmed to untrimmed..One thing not mentioned here is after you trim the point(meplat)it is easier to inspect..I use a 10 power loupe to pick up badly formed jackets,when the bullet is pointed up sometimes it folds enevenly on the inside,hard to see with the std bullet but stands out after cutting..These faulty bullets in my tests leave the group everytime....JR..Jeff Rogers

I have the Tooley version for .338 and 6.5. For the .338, and a minimum clean up, I notice no drop in BC at 600 yards (not one click). I trim, then moly (vibratory), this smooths the edge.

All I know is that I saw Tom Beringer do it in that movie Sniper, so I've been doing it ever since. Just kidding. Good point though. No pun intended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dr John:
I dont think there is any need to clean up the meplat of SMKs,custom bullets by Berger and JLK feature the same ragged tips.Back in 2000, when i shot competitive benchrest, prior to a range session iwas unable to aquire Bergers or JLKs and settled for a box of 68grn 6mm SMKs. With these i proceaded to shoot a screamer of 0.068" the best i have ever done,witnessed by the range secretary this would have been a new British record, had been shot in a match. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CP,
Out to 300 yards, maybe even 500 or so the tip diferences probably don't effect group size enough to worry about. I do know for a fact that inconsistant BC from this variation will cause a certain amount of vertical stringing at distances of 1000 yards or more.

I have a 6.5 tool from tooley if anyone is interested--only trimmed 20 bullets.

40 shipped.

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm convinced,(did'nt need much persuading, cos i love gadgets) is there a universal tool which will suit all bullet sizes and are there any manufacturers of these tools who ship internationally. I must admit that myself and my group of shooting friends consider our selves knowledgable precision shooters, but we had never heard of this one, even from the formal 1000yd boys. Anything that can improve our accuracy is of value.

Good Hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.