Browning A-Bolt 7wsm Options?

stonesmokey

New to long range shooting but have been doing a lot of research lately. Most builds seem to use a R 700 or M 70 or better yet a custom action.

What can be done with this rifle (7wsm)?
I was somewhat disappointed in the cartridge. Is there a better rechambering for this action? ie how big can it go?

I am currently shopping for a large caliber (0.338) for lrh and would like to keep a mid sized caliber such as 0.284. I also have a 243wssm. I know, there are large gaps in my arsenal but I will fill in time.

My current interest is in the Wby 338-378, 338 Lapua, and similar.

Any and all input is appreciated.

The browning action for the WSM pretty much limits you to those cases. The 7WSM is a great round and capible of some long range shooting and taking some big game at range also but the correct bullets need to be used.
If your looking to rebuild on that action , I would go with a longer barrel say 28-30" and go with a twist like 1-8 to shoot the 160-200gr class bullets , these will carry their energy way out. From what I have read about the 200gr Wildcat bullets they should make a 7WSM a true 1000yd deer gun.

Or you could go the hot rod round and make a 6.5mm-WSM , and shoot the 140 class bullet at around 3200fps , that would abe a very flat shooting round and would be able to take deer cleanly out to 800yds I would think , I plan to use my 260 for deer to 600yds and its 300fps slower.

Or last but not least , you could sell the gun and make a nice down payment on a custom action , especaily if your wanting a big 338. You could get a Lawton 8000 and have a 338-Chytac built. I pesronaly have no use for a big 338 but I sure would like to play with one.
I would choose the 338 Edge over the Lapua or 378 based cases as the cot of the bras is way higher and the added velocity isin't worth it to me

The 7 WSM is fully capable of making 1000 yard kills on deer/elk size game with the right bullet. What didn't meet your expectations?? Take a 162g amax or 168g berger VLD at 2900fps and you'll have a combo thats ready for 1K. I shoot a 7 RM with 168's and 162's and have shot out to 800 with great results. I need to get out to 1150 and see what she can really do. Whats your intentions with the cartridge??

I expected the gun to shoot more accurate out of the box with various factory rounds. The cartridge or rifle is real particular to what you feed it. I reload and have a pet load that works well with factory set up. 150g Accubond with some RL19. I haven't cooked any in awhile or I could be more specific.

Sounds like with some customization (rebarreling) i could make a superb deer slayer. Since this what I hunt mostly with exception to wild hogs, that's probably what I will do.

Is rebarrel as simple as ordering and have a smith install, or will I have to do anything else. Also I was considering a thumbhole stock from richards microfit, these worth it?

What ranges are you looking to shoot these critters at? is this a gun that your gonna be carrying alot or mostly just stand hunting

[
quote]

[/ QUOTE ] I was somewhat disappointed in the cartridge.

Why are you disappointed? This is a good Cal. in my opinion, able to take large game like Elk out to 600 -700yards,deer to 1000.Most of the ones I have seen shoot very good,low recoil,and all this with out burning a lot of powder.

As many of you know there are many different hunting situations one could encounter in TX. Very long scendaro shots, open plains, and short 100s in the woods.
I think that the inaccuracy was due to first gen wsm's the rifle has a 9 twist and I notice they are producing 9.5 now.
Don't know how much diff this makes, but I expected a little better out the factor rig. Using a Burris FFII 4x14x44 and did use different scope to test optics(optics are true). The groups were at best 5"; after 150 rounds and re lapping the crown and nice load I have pulled them down to 1 Moa with some less. I am ok with that, not to knock the cal- it is probably the rifle. Have heard sim cases with same rifle. Very finaky. I enjoy target shooting and have a steady hand. 2 lb trigger spring to this rifle, very sweet feel, with new stock and custom barrel this will very likely be my beginner LRH rifle. Could probably perform as is but I want good quality which factory barrel may not be sufficient.

Jon A has a very nice rig. It's a prime example for what I am looking for.

Here is what current plans are: new stock-richards micro tact t-hole semifancy wal with glass bedding lug and action and f-flting barrel. I will later purchase a new barrel and have installed. This where my knowledge will fail me. What else will have to be done to the barrel/action? I read about "blue printing" and "have trued" but not sure what these entail?

jeffbird, those are impressive results. I am going customize my browning to see if I can hone my skills to match what you guys are doing.

JDJones above mentioned 28-30in barrel 8:1, jeffbird has a 24in 9:1.

I hate to start barrel a debate but the various data makes me.
Shilen is local for me and from what I understand they're very reputable. Unless there is convincing data to go elsewhere I will probably go with Shilen.

So that leaves the length and twist. I am guesing the 9 will accomadate 140-175 gr and 8 with 160+ bullet weights.

How long will be needed to develop optimum velocities?

Shilen doesn't believe in fluting what is your opinions on this?

I will go with stainles matte finish

YOu wont need a 1 in 8 unless your shooting the 200g wildcat. The 1 in 9 will stabilize anything up to the 180g berger VLD. barrel length depends on what kinda hunting your going to be doing. If its a pack rifle, no more then 26", if its not going to be packed much then 28-30" would be fine.

I bought a Winchester Coyote in 7 WSM because I was curious about the WSMs and the 7mm was the only one available. What a great round. I am hooked now. It shoots one hole with factory Winchester Supreme ammo.

Hang in there and work out the bugs in your rifle the round is a good one and so is the rifle.

I appreciate all the input.

I have a new stock on order b/c I want a nice t.hole, the factory one is in good condition and I will sale whent the time comes.

I am going to try my hand a glass bedding. I like a challenge and expanding my knowledge. Once the stock is bedded I will see how the factory barrel reacts, ie any improvements. I also want to get a little more use out of the factory barrel. I suppose it would be hard to sale. I will keep you updated and try to get some b&a pics, so you all can laugh at me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stone -,

Who is the stock manufacturer ?

I'm going to get a boyds for my browning 7mm wsm -the nearly $300 for a bell/carlson is more that i want to spend on mine.
Take your time and look/think over the bedding job and you'll do fine.
I like to use wooden dowels to make sure the screw holes line up then wrap surgical tubing/rubber bungee etc -to hold the action in place.
Some Q-tips and gun oil on hand to clean the bedding materail off as it squeezes out.
I saw a guy put O-rings on the barrel so the barrel stayed in the center of the channel -thought that was a good idea.
Well best of luck to you and let us see the pictures --always need a good laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Midway has a cheap trigger spring that supposedly works well -i'm going to get one and also some of the bake on enamel paint and doll mine up.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts