Scope Height Help, Browning X-Bolt.

What are you trying to accomplish here?

Scope is not mounted and you need to purchase correct rings?

Scope is already mounted and you want to make correction in ballistic app?

I had a Zeiss 30mm 44 obj. Talley told me I needed lows. Purchased and the obj would not clear. They were FOS, I needed mediums. Not sure obj on the Leupy FWIW.
Op stated hes wanting to order a cds dial-- so this is for ballistic calculations

Last edited:
You don't have a tape measure or ruler? At least with the information you have based on what it should potentially be, you would be able to measure close enough to whether that measurement makes sense. Certainly better than any of us are able to.

Just measure from center of tube to center of bolt face. Should get you really close.

You don't have a tape measure or ruler? At least with the information you have based on what it should potentially be, you would be able to measure close enough to whether that measurement makes sense. Certainly better than any of us are able to.

Just measure from center of tube to center of bolt face. Should get you really close.
I do but I don't know how accurate that would be. I guess it's good enough to see if I am "close" with some of those numbers. I was just kinda stuck in the thought pattern I needed a really precise tool.

Okay, I measured the top of the receiver to centerline of the firing pin hole at the front of the port.

My measurement was .595" to centerline of the firing pin hole.

30mm = 1.181 / 2 = .5905

So, if the .400" is correct

.595 + .5905 + .400 = 1.5855

Sometimes I have found if the windage is so low brass ejected hit it on the way out. I will go with a higher set of rings or switch to a rail with the lowest rings.

Just take the rifle to any shop that has rings and test fit it

I need to know my scope height for a Leupold CDS dial. I have Talley low 30mm rings which are supposed to be (.400", please confirm) and a newer x-bolt in 6.5 PRC. I read somewhere the a-bolts were .500" but I have no idea about the X-bolt.

Does anyone know my total scope height? I don't have any measuring tools, unfortunately.

****EDIT Update****

I called Talley and Browning. Talley only knew for their rings (totally understandable) but Browning was able to tell me everything because the products I used are so common. X-Bolt 6.5 prc, Leupo VX-5hd + 30mm Talley low rings = 1.63" center to center.

Does that 1.63" sound right? I asked if it's worth having a smith double check and he said no since all of the tolerances are so close.
The 1.63" sounds about right. Really no special tools available you just have to get creative and do a little math. I ordered CDS dial for X-bolt recently. I probably inserted a soft rod into the bore (or maybe used the open bolt) and measured outside of bore to outside of eyepiece and a little math. My Talley low rings and 34mm tube gave me 1.725" and so if I subtract 2mm (for your 30mm tube) I get 1.646" which is close to your number. My CDS specs below. I've only been able to check at 300 yards and hoping to validate at longer distances soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 7.47.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 7.47.12 AM.png
    22 KB · Views: 17
If your definition of "scope height" is distance from the center of the bore to the center of the scope just pull the bolt back until it is under the rear scope optical the use calipers to measure from the center of the bolt to the center of the scope. I shoot ELR using a Kestral and this measurement works fine beyond 2600 meters. Good luck

Get a set of calipers. Open the bolt and measure the distance between the bottom of the mounted scope tube to the top of the bolt. Measure bolt diameter and scope tube diameter. Divide the scope/bolt diameter in half, each of them then add those two calculations to the distance between the scope tube and bolt. That's the center of the bore to the center of the scope tube, for scope height. 1.63 sounds pretty darn low, unless you have a 32 mm objective, I'd say your calculations are incorrect. This is the quickest and most accurate method we have found for making this calculation.

So I called Talley and Browning. Talley only knew for their rings (totally understandable) but Browning was able to tell me everything because the products I used are so common. X-Bolt 6.5 prc, Leupo VX-5hd + 30mm Talley low rings = 1.63" center to center.

Does that 1.63" sound right? I asked if it's worth having a smith double check and he said no since all of the tolerances are so close.
That sounds about right. I have pretty much the same set up in 270 wsm. I think I just eyeballed mine with a pair of calipers. It's close enough given the precision you're going to achieve with a dial.