Browning A-bolt Long Range Hunter info and advice for a new guy.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I thought I would bring it back to life. I have noticed more of the Browning A-bolt long range hunters available on gunbroker and various dealers lately, so I was wondering if anyone has any time on this right now? I have yet to get my hands on one and I am wondering how the balance and extra weight feel?

I have a new one and I love it! It's a 7MM RM in the gray laminate with the fluted barrel. I really like the 26" heavy barrel. I wish the stock was a little thicker, especially in the fore end and even a little more in the palm swell. I have a pretty wide hand, so to me the ideal size would be between a standard size and the Sendero fore end. Shouldn't be an issue considering long range shots in the field will be taken from a rest. Overall though, the gun feels very balanced to me and the weight is exactly what I was looking for in a hunting rifle.

This is my first Browning rifle (and my first long range set up) and I am pleased so far. It has an adjustable trigger but I wish it would adjust a little lighter. I don't have a pull gauge, so I don't know exactly what it is set at now. I just wish it was a little lighter. I do believe that triggers are one of the after market mods that are available for Brownings, so that may be in my future.

That being said, it is a sweet shooter and has low recoil. I am shooting 160 grain Nosler Accubonds out of it and they shoot very well. I am not going to mess with the Bergers for this hunting season since I am limited on seating depth due to the magazine. This may be something you want to think about if you are a big Berger fan. Or just wait and try the new Hunting Hybrids that are coming out.

I have a new one and I love it! It's a 7MM RM in the gray laminate with the fluted barrel. I really like the 26" heavy barrel. I wish the stock was a little thicker, especially in the fore end and even a little more in the palm swell. I have a pretty wide hand, so to me the ideal size would be between a standard size and the Sendero fore end. Shouldn't be an issue considering long range shots in the field will be taken from a rest. Overall though, the gun feels very balanced to me and the weight is exactly what I was looking for in a hunting rifle.

This is my first Browning rifle (and my first long range set up) and I am pleased so far. It has an adjustable trigger but I wish it would adjust a little lighter. I don't have a pull gauge, so I don't know exactly what it is set at now. I just wish it was a little lighter. I do believe that triggers are one of the after market mods that are available for Brownings, so that may be in my future.

That being said, it is a sweet shooter and has low recoil. I am shooting 160 grain Nosler Accubonds out of it and they shoot very well. I am not going to mess with the Bergers for this hunting season since I am limited on seating depth due to the magazine. This may be something you want to think about if you are a big Berger fan. Or just wait and try the new Hunting Hybrids that are coming out.

Thank you fulldraw for your review. That pretty much sold me. I too am looking at the 7mm RM. I am a Nosler fan so the 160 grain accubond is something I would want to load. Do you load your own bullets? If so, what load is working for you? Thanks again

Yes, I am hand loading my own rounds for this rifle. I am using the 160 Accubonds with 66 grains of Reloader 22, a Federal 215 primer and Winchester Western brass. Shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have a Huskemaw scope on mine and am currently gathering data for my custom turret. So far no complaints out to 500 yards with this load!

Yes, I am hand loading my own rounds for this rifle. I am using the 160 Accubonds with 66 grains of Reloader 22, a Federal 215 primer and Winchester Western brass. Shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have a Huskemaw scope on mine and am currently gathering data for my custom turret. So far no complaints out to 500 yards with this load!

What kind of speeds are you getting with this?

Honestly I don't know yet. I had to get a new chrono and won't have time to shoot with it for about another week. When I was developing my load, my focus was on accuracy. I am new to long range shooting, so data collection, especially shooting at 500 yds+, will be a slow process for me. Sorry I couldn't give you a number but I am not going to make something up and mislead you.

On the subject of seating depth of bergers for 7 mm rm in a a-bolt ,get a new clip for a 375 H&H, it will give you room to spare and still feed good.

I can't give any info on the long range model. However I do have lots of experience with the M-1000 eclipse, which I have chambered in 270wsm. This is by far the most accurate gun I have ever owned. Best group I have shot to date is 130gr Barnes tsx measured .186. I have shot half inch groups with factory ammo on several occasions. Don't think you will regret the LR model at all.

That Browning long range Huner is a nice looking gun,I almost bought one and did find a few Browning fans but since it was a shot show special ,nothing on that gun,I was ready to buy one in 300 rum but I passed because of the short magazine length ,after reading your post i want to go back and get one.I went with a christenson arms 300 rum(I know you guys like them less than browning).If you want to buy one Grice gun shop in Clearfield PA has some or did 2 weeks ago,they can ship it to your local dealer for you and there are some on gunbroker good luck.

On the subject of seating depth of bergers for 7 mm rm in a a-bolt ,get a new clip for a 375 H&H, it will give you room to spare and still feed good.

Great idea, JWP25! :) You just solved the biggest problem I have with my 7mm rm a-bolt. I can cannot wait to try this! Thanks !!!

Hi, I'm just starting down the LRH road after a western elk hunt. I passed at 500 yds the first day and never had another opportunity. I have owned and used a lot of different rifles over the years but my go to big game rifle has always been an a bolt. I gave the weatherby away and will likely sell the rugers and remingtons I have always liked the Browning fit and finish and especially the thumb safety. Its quiet and rarely off when I think its on. I managed to find an A bolt LR stainless synthetic in 300 RUM by calling around, and had it mailed to me. Its at the gunsmiths now having a break put on. If I can get rings I intend to put a Leupold Mark 8 (yes) on it this spring. My only complaint so far is that the plastic stock is an ugly piece of crap and I haven't been able to find a laminate stock for it. The barell is heavy and flutted so a sporter stalk is out of the question. Does any body know where I could send the plastic stock to and have a wooden one made with perhaps a monty carlo/raised cheek piece made?

Dundalk, you may be able to get one from Browning themselves. they have a parts department. they also have a custom shop. Just check their website.

Browning Parts
One Browning Place
Arnold, Missouri 63010
636-287-6800
Fax: 800-817-4755

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.