Boyd's laminated stocks - good, bad, indifferent??

sharktown

Boyd's is an inexpensive alternative to the high end stocks costing hundreds more but what I what to know is are they worth the time and expense? I will be bedding the action and finishing the stock myself.
The laminated varmint stock looks ok to me especially with the adjustable cheek piece that is an option and is the one I'm currently looking at to keep the cost down.
Any insight is appreciated.

Sharktown

I've got quite a few Boyd's stocks deployed in my arsenal .... They take some fitting work, but overall... a **** good choice for a *** remmy stock replacement...
gun)

I have a maple stock from them that I built up for an M700 coming back to me this week...
No failures... just coming back strapped to an overhauled 280 Ackley with a 26 in #5 Brux + a vias break....

All Ive ever purchased were stocks from "Stockies"....and they were inletted top notch! Id buy from STockys again if I were building another rifle

I bought a Savage Model 12 LPV in 300 WSM, pulled the barrel for a 270 WSM barrel (Shilen Savage prefit) and just yesterday swapped out the varmit stock for a Boyd's laminate sporter. The Model 12 dropped into the action perfectly including the DBM frame and bottom metal. The mag is positioned perfectly so it is all good. The only mods I had to make were to hog out the barrel channel for the varmit contour barrel and cut off the butt to install a Limbsaver recoil pad set to my preferred pull length. I will likely bed the recoil lug but will give it a try at the range first just to see what it does. I have another Boyds on a 7mm WSM with a 26" varmit contour Brux. It shoots 0.5 MOA with the 180 Bergers. The bottom line - Boyds provides great value compared to other alternatives and they shoot fine.

Sharky, you'll like the varmint Boyd's with the optional color laminate and perhaps the Limbsaver pad option which is a lot less than buying one elsewhere and it's installed. Never seen a Boyd's that didn't need bedding and check the inletting before bedding. Boyd's are a great value and very strong. Good luck

Attachments

• .257 Roberts.jpg
    .257 Roberts.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 527
I have a boys laminated thumbhole spotter on my Model 16 Savage 7SS that I really like. It is pillar bedded and shoots lights out. Here is a pic before I mounted the scope.7 ss savage.jpg

bedded 7SS Savage.jpg

I got a 1972 Sav 110 223 at the gunshow for cheap.
It has screws on 4.522" center. That is an odd duck.
I got a Boyd's laminate for 4.415" [normal] [now called Pro Varmint] for $109.

i milled it out so it would fit. I made concave Aluminum pillars. I painted it in a heated hardboard box with Brownells one part epoxy spray paint
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...re-aerosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx

MillingoutBoydsSav110stockfor4375incenterstofit80s4522incenteraction9-13-2013.jpg

Hot%20box%20for%20painting%20one%20part%20epoxy%20d9-24-2013.jpg

Sav110223250neckLWCMbarrelBoydsTacticalstockSSSrecoillug9-29-2013.jpg

Savage11022335grVmax13grBlueDot100yards4groupsof59-18-2013.jpg

First 5 shot groups at 100 yards

All gray looking guns guys. Thanks.

Clack that is the stock I'm looking at. Love the lines of it. I like that color a lot too. Great looking gun. Thanks. Looks like she's a shooter too.

I JUST got my 280 AI back from the LGS 's gunsmith yesterday.
French Gray coating
My Boyds AA Grade Maple stock ( French Stippling)
M700 Limited Action(trued)
Brux #5 finished @ 26in + Vias Break
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16-50
Leupold rings
NF 15 MOA rail
Will post a pic later... just got to work, and was too **** giddy last night.
gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.