Boyd's stocks

I've found that an endmill and a spade drill are effective weight reducers. Took a Howa Mini sporter in a Boyd's laminated stock down from over 8 lbs. to ~6.7 lbs scoped and slung.

Hello Guys,

I'm picking a new mossberg patriot predator with the plans to put new parts and upgrades on it, myself. Without many aftermarket stock choices, Boyd's seems like a good idea.

Has anyone used the Boyd's stocks? I actually had my eye on the heritage model in claro x walnut.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Semper fi
I have 3 of them. You won't be disappointed. I have the Prairie Hunter on my semi custom Savage Axis .17 Remington, Varmint Thumbhole on my Savage Axis .223 and a fully customized Heritage Rem LA on my 6.5-300 Weatherby. (Side note, this one was a wildcat built in the early 1970's). All of my stocks have served me very well. I do recommend glass bedding and they can be heavy.

Hello Guys,

I'm picking a new mossberg patriot predator with the plans to put new parts and upgrades on it, myself. Without many aftermarket stock choices, Boyd's seems like a good idea.

Has anyone used the Boyd's stocks? I actually had my eye on the heritage model in claro x walnut.

Semper fi

Hello Guys,

Semper fi
I just bought 2 Boyds stocks, both with the pillars installed. One for a savage axis heavy barrel. Perfect for barrel floated everything fit nicely. One for a Savage model 12, minor modifications under the trigger guard action screw. I had to take out about 1/16 to get everything right. Barrel was free floated from Boyd's. Getting over Covid and hope to try them out soon. Very solid stock. I expect that I will enjoy them over the plastic stock for years.

I think having Boyds install the pillars would be a very good option for you. The steel pillars are small hollow tubes that are bedded in the stock where the action screws pass through before they screw into the action. This stops the action screws from compressing the bare wood that they would pass through otherwise and allows the action to be torqued tight to the stock without damaging the wood which, in turn causes the action to come loose in the stock.
X 2 !!!! This actually happened to me with a Boyd's 'Pro Varmint' stock for a 6.5 Creed build I had going at the time. Couldn't figure out why the rifle was so inconsistent (or hold proper action-screw torque value) until I broke it down and saw this. Apparently, it happened when my Smith torqued the barreled action down into the stock (possible it came from Boyd's that way, but I doubt it) and he didn't realize it.
D6D59BD7-7067-4C75-8763-0D90BDD551B2.jpeg

@Springtom Get Those Pillars !!! 😇

Last edited:
I purchased a prairie hunter for a Ruger American predator. I ordered stippling in AA Claro walnut. I decided to strip the finish immediately. It was muddy brown and hid the figure in the stock completely. This decision had some ramifications.
First I think their walnut is quite soft and it dings easily. This might be less noticeable with the resin finish they used.
Second tru-oil is difficult to keep out of stippling and made refinishing the stock quite difficult.