factory stock or boyd's with bedding

radnur22

factory stock or boyd\'s with bedding

my 338 RUM shoots a dismal 1.5 - 2" groups at 100yds with the synthetic stock. i want to change the stock to help with accuracy. should i buy a factory stock with an aluminum bedding block (HS, bell/carlson etc) or should i get a boyd's stock and pillar/glass bed the rifle?

Re: factory stock or boyd\'s with bedding

Matter of what you like for stock material and your budget. Both types will work fine.

I have had some wonderful success with the Boyds Lam stock and you can't beat their pricing. If you are going Lam stock, you may also want to have a look at Richard's Microfit. Some nice designs and colours.

Most of the Alum bedded stocks are overrated and over priced. You will still need to bed properly using these stocks. The Hogue overmoulded might be another option.

Jerry

Re: factory stock or boyd\'s with bedding

Exsanguinate,

I would agree with the general comments that Jerry gave you.

I have fitted alot of Boyds laminated stocks and have been on average impressed with them in quality.

More then likely the problem with your 338 IS a bedding problem as a result of that plastic stock Rem uses on their rifles(I Assume it is a Rem 700).

I restocked two Rem 700 SS rifles this summer, one in 338 RUM the other in 375 RUM.

Why Rem would chamber a round as powerful as the 375 RUM in a 7 1/4 rifle is beyond me but thats another post.

The 338 RUM was behaving much like yours and beating the H___ out of its owner.

After the boyds JRS classic was fitted and properly bedded the groups tightened up to average less then 3/4" as long as only three shot groups were shot. Any more then that and the barrel heat would start to produce fliers.

While Boyds says their stocks are drop in stocks, this is generally not the case, you will need to open the barrel channel for the barrel on your 338 RUM.

You may also have to do a bit of fitting in the action area.

I have also found a couple Boyds stocks to have the axis of the action and barrel out of alignment with the stock making it a little difficult to even up the barrel channel but there are ways to get around this.

Also, one inportant reminder with a laminated stock of any make, be sure you have reinforcement pins installed in the stock, especially with heavy kickers like the 338 RUM.

Another critical area is the action screws, I would recommend pillar bedding the rifle but more for group consistancy rather then strength issues.

Be sure the action screws are not contacting the stock anywhere, they should be totally floated. If they are not, they can also cause stocks to crack on laminate lines under recoil.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.