B@C A-5 stock......Good or bad

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Elk Hunter 338, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Elk Hunter 338

Elk Hunter 338 Well-Known Member

I was interested in getting one of the new Bell@Carlson A-5 adjustable stocks...with full aluminum bedding block, and i was wondering if they were on par with Mcmillian and manners..any advise would be very appretiated.

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quite put it on par with the McMillan or Manners, but the B&C stock is a good one.

3. Elk Hunter 338

are they beefy enough to hold up to the big 30" to 32" tubes found on the edge and other awesome magnums or is the 4 month wait for a mcmillian worht it

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Can't answer that other than to say that everyone I know that has one of the big magnums has them in an HS, McMillan or Manners.

The B&C very well might be able to handle it. I've just never seen any big mags in one. Maybe call B&C or Stockys

5. Jrigby

Jrigby <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I shot one on a 338 ultra mag with a 28" barrel and have not had any issues. I will say it is a tank for weight. It has a full pound + more weight then my HS with adjustable lop and cheek.

6. Elk Hunter 338

im just curious cause i cant make up my mind.....dang it .....i hate that ,are the mcmillian's full length bedded? Manners?

7. JAWZ

JAWZ Well-Known Member

I just got 1 for my mkv Edge from another forum member will let you know how it gose . The weight thing is not realy a problem as weight in a rifle for what we do ain't exactly a problem.

8. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

Don't know about manners, but my mcmillans have to be pillared and bedded by my smith. They don't have the alum. bedding like my B&C medalist. The medalist I have is still skim bedded though. Manners has a pretty nice stock out for 2010 you might want to check out. Oh by the way I have never got my mcmillan stocks in 4 months more like 6 months.

They are all good stocks. I like the looks and feel of my Mcmillan better. It comes down to what you like the best.

Brent

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. Elk Hunter 338

Thanks Jawz i will be lookin forward to hearing how it sizes up....and your right weight isnt an issue for what we do

10. Elk Hunter 338

i see..... so i have felt a mcmillian a-5 before and loved it havent got my hands on a manners but there pretty much the same arent they...6 months huh well i guess if u want quality your gonna pay weather its in time or money

11. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

if you've got a remington action or clone, Gene Sears supply carries inventory of mcmillan stocks. If you buy through their retail site, you can get flat rate shipping just $4.95.

McMillan Rifle Stocks

12. Elk Hunter 338

thanks for the info any idea on cost

13. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

I have stocks made by McMillan, H-S Precision, High Tech Specialties and Bell and Carlson. Here is how I grade them. McMillan A+, H-S A, High Tech B and B&C are easily A-. I look first at B&C first now because I like them so well. A little heavy but very stout. If ordered through rifle-accuracy.com you can get them installed with mercury recoil reducers if you shoot bangers. I usually order when I start ordering componenets for build and have always received them in plenty of time for assembly. One bit of advice for stocks with bedding blocks- SKIM BED

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  14. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I'm interested in why you say to skim bed. I know some others say the same thing and some say just bed the recoil lug. I'm heistant about skim bedding my Sendero HS stocks because I've read it might flake up? What product do you use to skim bed yours?

Hope this isn't too far off topic Rich :)

-Mark