Boots for Backpacking?

I like the Cabelas Meinel boots when it is snowy and the Cabela's outfitters retrofitted with the Miendel insoles (for sale at Cabelas for around $19). This gives two different boots with excellent cork insole protection.

I have 3 pairs I use for various uses. Nice weather and gentle terrain I go with either my Danner Gortex boots or my La Sportiva Trango Trek GTX. My Danner boots are pretty old and if I am packing much weight I lean toward the Trangos. They are a great boot for most backpacking. For heavy duty packing, like sheep hunting, I am testing out the Cabela's Alaska Meindls. I want as close to a mountaineering boot as possible and the price was right. They are nice and stiff and fit well.

As for drying them out.. Not many options in a minimalist camp.. I typically just take the insoles out and keep the boots under cover. Having camp shoes gives the boots some extra time to dry on their own.

Last edited:
I got the Danner Pronghorn all leather w/200gm thinsulate. They are awesome and very easy to break in. I was up and down the mountains chasing elk with a bow and never even got a hotspot,no blisters, not even close. I replaced the footbed with a superfeet footbed and it provided good support.

Good news is that they are on sale at the Sportsman's Guide for only $99, well worth it.

I really like the cabelas speed hunter 2 for early season warm weather archery hunts. They are a little heavy but just as comfortable as your everyday cross trainer. In the winter the best boot I've found is the Danner Pronghorn. They are very lite and water proof great for those long days in the snow and rain.

I have wrapped up two hunting seasons with my Lowa Tibet GTX this winter. All I can say is that they are AWESOME!!!!! I have worn a lot of good boots over the years including a Vasque Sojourn GTX that was the Gortex version of the SuperHiker. It was a great boot, but is no longer made and I was really struggling finding a boot that would do well sidehilling as well as be comfortable on the regular hiking trails etc. As I have mentioned, the Lowa Tibet GTX is absolutely terrific for me.

When I wear out my Danner Santiam's I will replace them with Lowa Sheep Hunters for the insulation. The Lowa fits my foot significantly better than the Danners, although the Danners are my choice when it is really cold or with significant snow levels due to the Air Bob sole and the 400 gram Thinsulate. I have hunted in small amounts of snow with the Tibets and they were great, but over the top and I will want the Insulated versions.

Anyway, check out the Lowas and see what you think. IMHO they are tough to beat.

Firehawk

I have been using the Kenetrek's and also the Lowa's and yes, Danner too. I have worn the Danner Brand for thirty something years and they are a very well made boot with a flat sole.

Then I learned about LOWA's. They are all Leather, a bit heavier but comfortable. The WOW factor happened when I tried them on and discovered "Rocker" in the sole.

Then a friend recommended the KENETREK's which also have rocker and are my all time favorite boot. I am wearing the Mountain Extreme, ten inch with 400 grams of Thinsulate and are Perfect for the Colorado Rockies. I want a pair of their non-insulated for next summer....

Hanwags are a super boot and their quality control hasn't been an issue lately like some of the other major boot manufacturers.

Not mega ridged like the Meindle Canada Pro's, they have a rocker sole on the Hanwags and roll very nicely. Good rand and the most comfortable boot out of the box I have ever worn. No break in necessary for me.

Same boot Lathrop and Sons sell, highy recommended by Alaskan Guide Billy Molls.

If you want more of a Rigid mountaineering boot that will last years through the Talus and Shale then look at the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX.

Meindls, Hanwags, Lovas and various other Euro boots will all work well, if correctly fitted and then LOOKED AFTER. I retired as the main bootfitter for the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada, here in Vancouver and also once briefly worked for the major Meindl supplier.

I have had about 30 pair of boots since the early '60s and worn about everything available, mostly to work in forestry in BC and Alberta and to climb, hike and hunt here, as well.

I have seen more boot/foot problems due to improper fitting and poor boot care than any actual boot failure and this in boots from some of Vancouver's main suppliers and their employees.....you would be surprised.

There are periodic glitches in QC among the major brands and also among highend custom boots as NO maker is perfect. People really balk at spending $$$$$ for boots and then whine like little puzzies when cheap boots fail them. Boots are not as "cool" as a $600.00 Arcteryx or NF G/T jacket that shows everyone that you are a "mountaineer" and so many tend to discount their crucial importance.

My next two pair of boots will be another pair of original, NOT Cabela's, Meindl "Perfekts" and a pair of Lova "Baffins" and, with what I now have, Scarpa "Concordias", Kastinger FG climbing boots and Van Gorkum customs, plus Russell "High Country Hunters" and Schnee's pacs, that should last me until I am too old to backpack any more. Note: I wear hiking boots 364 days per year, due to a leg problem, but, I save my good ones like the above for serious bush work.

Scarpa has some newer models that are not too bad, but, their stuff has declined severely since about 2002, people just will not pay for the quality of 1970s-'80s and early '90s boots.

Last edited:
Meindls, Hanwags, Lovas and various other Euro boots will all work well, if correctly fitted and then LOOKED AFTER. I retired as the main bootfitter for the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada, here in Vancouver and also onced briefly worked for the major Meindl supplier.

I have had about 30 pair of boots since the early '60s and worn about everything available, mostly to work in forestry in BC and Alberta and to climb, hike and hunt here, as well.

I have seen more boot/foot problems due to improper fitting and poor boot care than any actual boot failure and this in boots from some of Vancouver's main suppliers and their employees.....you would be surprised.

There are periodic glitches in QC among the major brands and also among highend custom boots as NO maker is perfect. People really balk at spending $$$$$ for boots and then whine like little puzzies when cheap boots fail them. Boots are not as "cool" as a $600.00 Arcteryx or NF G/T jacket that shows everyone that you are a "mountaineer" and so many tend to discount their crucial importance.

My next two pair of boots will be another pair of original, NOT Cabela's, Meindl "Perfekts" and a pair of Lova "Baffins" and, with what I now have, Scarpa "Concordias", Kastinger FG climbing boots and Van Gorkum customs, plus Russell "High Country Hunters" and Schnee's pacs, that should last me until I am too old to backpack any more. Note: I wear hiking boots 364 days per year, due to a leg problem, but, I save my good ones like the above for serious bush work.

Scarpa has some newer models that are not too bad, but, their stuff has declined severely since about 2002, people just will not pay for the quality of 1970s-'80s and early '90s boots.

I was told to only listen to half of what you have to say, the other half is BS. Would you mind pointing out which half is which?:) Why the name change?

Very simply, my wife for career reasons always wanted me to use a "handle" on this type of forum, that is no longer necessary. I prefer to simply use my name and post what I actually have experienced since I started bushwhacking at Nelson, BC, some 53 years ago.

I have never claimed to be infallible, I leave that to the sort of poster who makes an "argumentum ad hominem". If, you consider my opinions to be BS, well, don't bother to read them, eh?

I have never claimed to be infallible, I leave that to the sort of poster who makes an "argumentum ad hominem". If, you consider my opinions to be BS, well, don't bother to read them, eh?

Now now, I said there was a potential that 50% was BS, some people have vouched for you and said the other 50% could very well be true:) Thats pretty good odds considering this is the internet:cool:

There are still a couple people hanging around your ol stomping grounds who know you, actually I was impressed that the BS to Truth factor was that balanced. I figured it would be weighted more toward the rear.

I normally I try not reading your posts, for various reasons. Nothing personal of course, how could it be? I haven't met you! More of a distaste for the writing style you use and the constant biographical Resume that always finds itself into each post. Some posts do actually have some worthwhile information once you get through the resume.

Curious, why were you Banned from the other website?

Later eh!!

I've been wearing Bates and Danners, but recently stepped up to a pair of Hanwag Mountian Lights - AMAZING is all I can saiy. They required virtually no break-in and are extremely well made.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.