Tents for backpacking...

I just used graph paper and the dimensions I wanted (7' high so I could stand up and 10' diameter so there'd be plenty of room for two people and gear) used 8 panels, studied quite a few picures of other tipis on the web and started sewing, bought the materials, cut stuff and sewed it togehter. A background in sewing helps. Good luck!

jmden were did you buy the materials for your tent and how did you water proof the seams

Outdoor fabrics, technical fabrics, ripstop, waterproof fabric, outdoor fabric, zippers 1.1 oz silicone impregnated ripstop nylon

I get the seconds, cause I really don't care if it's pretty. But, I've never figured out why why I've purchased has been a second. Don't see any color variation, or issues with waterproofing, etc.

McNett makes a product called SilNet. Since the fabric is silicone impregnated, you have to use a silicone product to seam seal. Apparently regular seam sealers won't work.

I have an Alaskan dome tent that is about 30 years old and it has been used in every season,
I would buy another any time..the problen is it still works great and its not time to sell it.

I like to use my Goretex Bivy bag over my mummy bag with a .mil poncho stretched over some fiberglass tent poles place in the corner grommets (sort of in an X fashion. It works great, stays low to the ground (does not get blown away by the wind) and helps keep heatable space to a minimum.

Here is the link to the poncho tent. http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm gun)

It is a very cool system

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.