Spotter for backpacking

Wyodog

I'm getting a new spotting scope in a few weeks. Currently I'm looking at Swarovski and Zeiss. I am curious about the size of scope you backpackers have chosen to use. I think I would prefer the 65mm scopes to the bigger 80mm scopes because of the size and weight. But I am interested in hearing if any of be live the bigger heavier scope is worth packing around. My other concern about the big scopes is they get moved around more by wind than the smaller ones.

Don't overlook the Leupold 12-40X60HD. It's compact, very crisp, and you gotta love 30mm's of eye relief at 40X. Much happier with this over my Swarovski 20-60X65 for hunting.

I'm getting a new spotting scope in a few weeks. Currently I'm looking at Swarovski and Zeiss. I am curious about the size of scope you backpackers have chosen to use. I think I would prefer the 65mm scopes to the bigger 80mm scopes because of the size and weight. But I am interested in hearing if any of be live the bigger heavier scope is worth packing around. My other concern about the big scopes is they get moved around more by wind than the smaller ones.

I was in the same boat.. Well sort of... I ended up getting a Vortex Razor HD 65... I personally think the Swaro is the best (ATX), but out of my price range, I liked the Zeiss (spent a good amount of time behind one on my last elk hunt), and IMO on max res they are the slightest bit more clear than the Vortex, but for the price difference not worth it... If you can afford it get the Swaro ATX 65...

Could always split the difference and get a Kowa Prominar 770 series scope.. between the 65 and 80 in size and weight, exceptional glass....

I'm really more interested in 65mm scope vs 80+mm scopes for backpacking. Is the little bit of extra light gathering worth the extra size and weight.

Could always split the difference and get a Kowa Prominar 770 series scope.. between the 65 and 80 in size and weight, exceptional glass....

Interesting idea. I have spent a little time with a Kowa great glass. I'll check the spec on weight and size.

For backpacking I would go with a smaller scope such as the Nikon ed50 or the vortex razor 11-33x50. Out of the 2....the razor wins my vote. Its a little more crisp at max zoom and it should have enough zoom to give you a good idea on whether or not the animal is big enough to stalk or not

For backpacking I would go with a smaller scope such as the Nikon ed50 or the vortex razor 11-33x50. Out of the 2....the razor wins my vote. Its a little more crisp at max zoom and it should have enough zoom to give you a good idea on whether or not the animal is big enough to stalk or not

IMO 50mm spotters don't let in enough light, I prefer a good set of binos stabilized by a tripod or shooting sticks over a 50mm spotter...

I'm really more interested in 65mm scope vs 80+mm scopes for backpacking. Is the little bit of extra light gathering worth the extra size and weight.

Don't forget that its not just the added weight of the spotter, but most likely would have to run a heavier tripod to stabilize the bigger heavier glass.

I carry 12×50 binos and have 6×20 ×50 rifle scope so I don't see where I could benifit much from a 50mm spotter.

I carry 12×50 binos and have 6×20 ×50 rifle scope so I don't see where I could benifit much from a 50mm spotter.

Weight is the big thing. Every ounce counts where i hunt in southern Az. Ive found that carrying a 65 or 85mm spotter is a big down fall when it comes to getting deep into the backcountry. Im also a solo backpacker so I guess its my personal preference to be as light as possible

DesertMafia,

I truly agree with your assessment on ounce counting. I have been using tripod mounted binos and my rifle scope as my only optics the couple years while backpacking into the wilderness. Carrying a heavy scope has seemed like a luxury that wasn't worth the additional weight. However I am also a hunting guide and a spotter is an absolute essential when guiding. This year I am upgrading my spotting scope and my thoughts are that if I get a scope smaller and lighter than my 80mm scope I might be more inclined to use it. I know from experience that good optics can make a big difference in your hunt. A 50mm spotter would not be a good choice for my guiding business unfortunately. I'm not in a position this year to buy 2 scopes so I'm trying the best option/compromise to do it all.

DesertMafia,

I truly agree with your assessment on ounce counting. I have been using tripod mounted binos and my rifle scope as my only optics the couple years while backpacking into the wilderness. Carrying a heavy scope has seemed like a luxury that wasn't worth the additional weight. However I am also a hunting guide and a spotter is an absolute essential when guiding. This year I am upgrading my spotting scope and my thoughts are that if I get a scope smaller and lighter than my 80mm scope I might be more inclined to use it. I know from experience that good optics can make a big difference in your hunt. A 50mm spotter would not be a good choice for my guiding business unfortunately. I'm not in a position this year to buy 2 scopes so I'm trying the best option/compromise to do it all.
Right on. Sounds like a 65mm is right up your alley. Totally understand how you feel. You can never go wrong with swaro ; )

I've got the Razor HD 20-60x85, and I agree with you guys... I just cannot imagine carrying it on a backpack hunt. I also agree that a 50mm is not a good option, just use your scope. 65mm seems like the perfect happy medium.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.