Boots for Backpacking?

Meindls, Hanwags, Lovas and various other Euro boots will all work well, if correctly fitted and then LOOKED AFTER. I retired as the main bootfitter for the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada, here in Vancouver and also once briefly worked for the major Meindl supplier.

I have had about 30 pair of boots since the early '60s and worn about everything available, mostly to work in forestry in BC and Alberta and to climb, hike and hunt here, as well.

I have seen more boot/foot problems due to improper fitting and poor boot care than any actual boot failure and this in boots from some of Vancouver's main suppliers and their employees.....you would be surprised.

Well I appreciated you sharing your background and until given a good reason, take you at your word. I looked at some of the boots you've recommended and I have historically preferred 10-11" tall boots for the additional support they provide on the mountainsides while sheep hunting. You seem to prefer the shorter heights. Another reason I like the taller boots is I've found that the fit doesn't have to be perfect in order to keep my foot from moving around in the boot. I've used the Cabela's Meindl Canada Boot for about 16 years and liked it. Two years ago I picked up a set of Haix Montana boots on display at the 2007 Shot Show in Orlando. They are similar in design to the Meindl Canada but I find them to be a slightly higher quality boot. I've had some issues with the Meindl soles delaminating prematurely while the rest of the boot was still in good condition. Any experience with Haix boots? I understand they are manufactured in Germany and popular with firefighters and police departments in some parts of the world.

Thankyou, gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.

I am not familiar with that specific maker of boots, however, there are still a fair number of smaller boot makers in Europe and these are not imported here to Canada due to the obsession with "Asian trade". If, they fit and are of better quality than the Meindl's Canadians, I would buy as many pair as I could and "ration" them for my future hunting!

It seems that the Canadian model is the one which Meindl has had the most QC difficulty with and that is, obviously, due to the technology used to make them. The newer boots with high "rands" so touted by many, are NOT built to be "better" for alpine uses such as sheep hunting ( or, like most of us, sheep "looking for" ), they are built this way as it is much cheaper to do than to use Norwegian welting and full grain leather.

I do not care for this type of boot and try not to buy them, as they seldom if ever really "fit" the way a FGL boot will after it molds to your individual foot. Some boot fitters will deny this and use bits of foam to "fit" your boots, this is about as valid as mounting your scope without boresighting.

Higher boots feel as though they give more support when they do not fit really well, but, what is really happening is that your foot/leg muscles are continually adjusting to maintain balance and this tires you out. But, it is dammed hard to get really well-fitted boots now as most are pretty crappy and you just have to compromise.

I like an 8" top on a fairly stiff, moderately rockered FGL climbing boot and then use gaiters for better coverage in bad weather. A 10" or taller boot gives no greater actual support than the shorter one and is heavier. But, one has to go with what feels best to himself and what you can obtain in terms of budget and availability, so, ya do what ya can, eh.

Generally speaking, the gear we have today is far beyond that of the '60s, '70s, '80s and so forth, but, really GOOD generalized mountain boots are NOT and decent ones are hard to find. The finest boots I ever had or saw were Galibier Super Guides, still made in France, I understand, but, no longer imported into North America.

The "trendiness", specialization and increasing "fashion like" situation in all outdoor self-propelled activities is partially responsible for this, but, "bullschitt walks, but, money talks" is the real culprit. A GOOD pair of FGL "Littleway" (the best) or "Norwegian" welted climbing boots is going to have to retail at well in excess of $500.00 USD a pair for it to be profitable for the makers/vendors and that just ain't gonna fly in today's hunting world...as witness the Filson's situation and so many others.

I hear good things about the Schnee's Sheephunters by Lowa and that might be one option for you to consider.

gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.

So I found out why you were banned, Some not very gentlemanly remarks, and I'll leave it at that. Sometimes people say things and then regret doing so, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume there were better intentions.:)

FYI
A person that calls himself a gentleman, is often the furthest thing from the truth. That title is earned and awarded, you can't claim it for
yourself.

By the way, it is possible for a boot to have a Rand AND be made of good leather.

Thankyou, gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.

I hear good things about the Schnee's Sheephunters by Lowa and that might be one option for you to consider.

Thanks for your feedback. Likewise - all I've ever heard has been positive about the Lowa Sheephunters. In fact a fellow I work with purchased a set 2-3 years ago and he really talks them up as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am seriously considering a pair of those, based on what a guy on Kifaru.net has to say. He is among the more experienced and knowledgable guys I have encountered on forums of this type, his name is Ed Tyanich and I trust his judgement completely.

There is another Hanwag outlet here in Victoria, B.C. and this is Viberg's Boots; they might well have something that will fit, as well.

I spoke with Stephen Lathrop at length, just after they switched from Meindls to Hanwags, he actually offered me a job in his firm, but, somehow being retired in BC kinda suits me; my impression is that they are a great outfit to deal with and they KNOW boots and feet. Their systems are pretty pricey, but, for guys getting older and packing hunting weight packloads, they impress me as being a good option.

To me, boots are the biggest pita of all gear and the one ya really gotta get right.

I have two pair of Danner boots 7 inch Danner blade GTX one is the with 0 insulation and the is pair is 8.5 Danner blade GTX with 600 g of insulation both are very dry boot and light weight. Now socks are very inportant to me brushed nylon-wool blend socks. I have had the danners going on my third season I must say I really like them but they could use a bit more bite on the sole.

RockZ

As some of the others have pointed out it is hard to narrow things down to one boot as different hunts require different equipment, boots included.

For serious backpack hunting in rough steep country I don't think you can go wrong with the Lowa boots you mentioned. I wear a pair of Lowa Sheephunter boots sold by Schnees. These are serious heavy duty boots, that will stand up to any terrain you can throw at them. They have a great footbed, and really good ankle support which is very important to me. I also added Spenco backpacking insoles to mine for a better arch support. Superfeet insoles work well also.

The only down side to the Lowa Sheephunters is they are heavy.........oh, and they are not cheap either. Schnees sells them $399. They are worth it though in my opinion. I have had mine for 6 seasons and they have been through everything from sheep hunts in Alaska, to a dozens of hunting and guiding trips in NM and WY. They are a little scuffed, but other than that, they are as good as the day I got them......better actually, they are stiff boots and require a good bit of break in.

The last LOWA boots I owned lasted me for 6 years. They were a bit stiff, but did a tremendous job while they lasted.
I am now using a pair of Irish Setter, 800 gram insulation, with Gore-Tex. Not in the same price range as the LOWA, much cheaper, but so far happy with them. They are also much lighter than the LOWA.

I use to wear different boots depending on the hunt or backpacking trip. For a short day hunt with a light load, I tended to wear my danner pronghorns- soft, light, and quiet. Then Whites or a Danner work boot the rest of the time. However your question was about a backpacking boot, and I wondered the same thing a while back and searched for the right boot.

When I go backpacking, the load tends to be heavy and the terrain unforgiving. In that instance I would recommend the Asolo 520 GV. Yes they are stiff and need some breaking in, but with a good medium weight backpacking sock, they are a dream boot with a heavy load. I even wear a pair as my daily footwear now. I use to wear taller boots, but now I use gators in the snow.

I've recently been reading David Long's book: Public Land Muley's: The Bottom Line. He does an amazing amount of solo backback hunting in the high country of the west, mostly Wyoming, I believe. (Great book and comes with a DVD, BTW.) Visit eastmans.com to check it out.

BTW, He's worked out a very lightweight workable backpacking system for him. Convinced me to get a 'bivy-tent' (a Nemo Gogo) for a upcoming solo muley backpacking hunt. (Very good deal with no tax and shipping from northernlightstrading.com right now, BTW.) Much more livable than using my GTX bivy sac and may be lighter, but not nearly as heavy as my Bibler Torre or Marmot Swallow. And, where I'm going, I don't think there's a flat spot big enough for a two man tent. I just hope I can find a flat spot for the bivy.

Through September, his book says he uses Vasque Sundowner MX2's (2006 book on third printing 1/08). Starting in October, he uses the 10" Danner Canadians w/600g insulation and says one of the main reasons for picking this boot is the Danner Bob soles, saying he firmly believes these soles are the best on the market. I've got a pair of the Danner 8" Raptors (w/Danner Bob sole--I really like that sole as well) I use for pretty much for all big game hunting (very similar to Canadians, but with some cordura instead of all leather and 400g insulation instead of 600g). Long says he doesn't like boots that are part cordura and part leather as they tend to split at the cordura and leather seams. He says he goes through a pair of boots every couple of years and I've had mine going on 6 years and they are still in great shape, so that tells you he puts on alot more miles than I do and probably has found a system that works well for him. Just something to consider.

Jon

From my mountaineering experience I have learned to approach footware choices on my back pack hunting here in Washington and other places out west from a system approach. For instance I leave Sunday for 8 days in the Alpine Lakes Wildeness for the high buck hunt and I'll be wearing my La Sportiva Nepal Evo's and carrying my approach shoes and camp flip flops. So, for the 6 mile haul in and rough country stuff I'll wear the Evo's. For easier terrain I'll wear the approach shoes, and around camp I've got the super cushy flip flops.

Although I am the new guy on this forum, I will put my two cents in on this since I believe that boots are some of the most important pieces of gear you can purchase. As mentioned before some guys like the Whites smokejumper. I can vouch for those as they are super tough boots. I am personally wearing the Nicks Hotshot which are pretty much identical to the smokejumpers. Many of the posters on this thread mentioned good fit. If you buy either the Whites or the Nicks, you have to submit a tracing of your feet with about 20 different measurements and they will build a boot to fit your foot. They are heavy and you will hate breaking them in, but after that you will love them as they will be the most comfortable boot you own. No doubt the best arch support and ankle support that I have ever found. I have anlkle problems and these are the best boots ever.

YES, read the whole post, like and use Danner,Lowa, Hawthorn, White, all sitting in my shop now. My fav. Asolo GV HAVE 3 pr in various conditions, I hunt w/ light weight crampons a fair amount of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.