Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

Villreinjeger

Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

I'm hunting in alpine areas, which occassionaly gets high winds, maybe a dump of snow and I still want a very light tent.
the condotions are comparable with Alaska I'd say - it is the Norwegian high-country, and the Southern Alps in New Zealand.

Am I asking for the impossible?

These tents has caught my attention:

Warmlite Climbers Two Person Tent | Stephenson's Warmlite

Hilleberg the Tentmaker - Tunnel Tents - Nallo 2

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nallo/nallo2gt.php

the last one a wee bit heavy for solo hunts... :-/

I've had this tent, but find it to heavy at 4lb.. a tough tent though despite having only one beam..:

Ringstind Light

Problem is I'd like to be able to stack in to persons, even though it would be the missus we'd still want space for two people..

I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium tent - I expect it to last my life of backpacking..

Other suggestions?

Last edited:
You really are searching for the holy grail. I've been looking at the Hilleberg as well. To get the four season features you are going to pay for it with money and weight.

Here is one I've been looking at, Shangri-La 3 Tent Bundle It makes sense when sharing to load with someone else and can be used just as a tarp when weather permits.

In open alpine country there is something to be said for the security of a good shelter. There is nowhere to hide! A good synthetic bag with a bivy cover gives me the confidence to skimp a bit on the shelter. It all adds up when it on your back.

Gene

Last edited:
This is how I think of the matter:

If I get a very good down- bag, I have at least 700grams-1kg extra for a better tent - ie I could go for the Nallo 2GT and have a spacious vestibule even when hunting alone. I spent 48hours in a small tent in very bad wind and rain in NZ ten years ago - at that time I wished I had a bigger tent!
I also have 3/4 Exped down mat - save 200 gram from full lenght, making it a viable choice over other rests. Single closed cell mats are no option for me.. I'm hunting and doing the hard yards while enjoying it- it's not an army operation. Good gear, together with fitness, go a long way to make it more fun.

I'm a much better hunter on day 2-5 if I can sleep well at night, and get a good rest, without worry about getting wet.

This is not a cheap solution at all, but I'm willing to pay the price to have good AND light gear for the rest of my years of hunting.

Are there any other light, but still safe, tents for alpine use I should consider? Or should I just stick with a Hilleberg?

this one is also an option - better security, but one-man tent...

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/soulo/soulo.php

Last edited:
I've had a look at the suggestions - have a few questiones about the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2:

The Joined bowes, Are they as durable as the continous bows (hilleberg et al) in heavy winds?
Is the vestibule big enough to cook in?
1,7kg all up is tempting.

I've had a look at the suggestions - have a few questiones about the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2:

The Joined bowes, Are they as durable as the continous bows (hilleberg et al) in heavy winds?
Is the vestibule big enough to cook in?
1,7kg all up is tempting.

I'm running the UL3. Its a palace for 2 and the vestibule is big enough to cook in. Not sure how to answer your other question. Its worked well so far and its been more than a bit windy a few times..

You should check out Kifaru and Seekoutside they both sell floorless,heatable,lightweight,4 season shelters with alot of diff. size options
Tim

Thanks all for the advices!

I've decided to skip the two person tent, and go for a Hilleberg Akto. I want a double wall construction with innertent. That model has proven itself over and over again in alpine environment. Pretty light to!

Great choice!!! The Akto should serve you quite well. I've looked at 'em a hundred times - though ending up using something different.

Last time i bought a smaller, lite-weight shelter I chose a Henry Shires TarpTent Cloudburst II. It's excellent quality as well as nice and light, but lacks the 'structure' i prefer (and what i believe the Akto would have).

I'm not in a place of needing to buy another shelter (especially just a single sleeper), but if i was the Akto would be on it's way.

I would go with the Hilleberg. Nammatj 2GT or Nallo 2GT. You can sleep in the tent and put ALL your gear in the vestibule leaving things cozy inside the tent. Spendy but worth it. As far as weight to strength ratio, they are hard to beat for an alpine tent. Only downside is they are not free standing. Its a minor detail I can do without.

hilleberg akto is at the top of the heap for backpack hunters in rough weather. The MSR hubba or hubba hubba are a close second.gun)

Suprised nobody has mentioned Black Diamond. They bought out Bibler and make excellent shelters.

The Firstlight and Hilight are 3 season two person freestanding tents that weigh only about 3lbs or less and are very compact. They are small but about the lightest free standing tents around.

I use the Betalight and Megalight. The Mega light sleeps up to four and weighs only 2.5 lbs and pitches with a single carbon fiber pole. If you add the bathtub floor you get a massive shelter with tons of headroom for about 4.5lbs. The Megalight is 1.5 lbs and I made a one pound floor. 2.5 pounds and it will fit two people plus two packs.

Four the four season tents I like the Eldorado or I-Tent. These are standard issue for alpine climbing. The are single wall and BOMBER. They never accumulate condensation on the inside. Best part is they weigh less than 5lbs.

I have no experience with Hilleberg but I know they are highly regarded.

Just my .02 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.