Boots for Backpacking?

You guys are lucky you can pick and choose what boot to wear, I wear a 15 EE, gotta wear what ever I can find. It is a pain in the but trying to find hunting and hiking shoes that size.

If I'm hunting big timber....I still wear my West Coast caulk boots. Logged out here for many years and they always served me well. Those who have never worked in the woods will never understand. If I'm in the high country I wear my BF Goodrich extra-tuffs. Zero ankle support, but really really quiet when hunting. And they are truly water-proof.

Boots for Backpacking!!

Here in British Columbia a lot of sheep hunters I have talked too give the Meindl Canadians the thumbs up. They are a great boot in my opinion. But some guys are using the scarpas and also Lowa's sheep hunters. A high boot with good ankle support especially when sidehilling with a heavy pack is important. Would suck big time to roll your ankle in the middle of nowhere. RAMSHOT.

RockZ

Schnees boots out of Montana sells the same boot (I think) as the "Sheep Hunter". I bought a pair a few years ago for a Dalls sheep hunt in the Brooks range, Alaska.

This a a great boot! After several days of scrambling around in rocks, scree, slogging through mud, etc........ the boots cleaned up no worse for the experience. Others in the camp with Danner Pronghorns, Vasque and other leather/cordura type hiking boot came back to base with boots that looked as though they had been run through a shredder.

The boots are tough and comfotable, but they are stiff when new and require significant breakin. I wore mine almost every day for 3 month before my sheep hunt. The boot is also heavy. If you are hunting less extream terrain, I would suggest a lighter weight boot such as the Pronghorn. I have a pair of those as well and they were very comfortable from the first moment I put them on. However, if you are going to be hunting very rugged terrain that requires good ankle support and is tough enough to take out whatever you throw at them........the Lowa's can't be beat.

PS, I ordered mine from Schnees and they advised me to order 1/2 size larger than normal as the boots were sized small. I did, and they fit fine.

Kenetrek boots

I bought a boot called Kenetrek. The best boot I have ever worn. Very comfortable, exelent support. They are light enough to hike in and tough enough to pack elk in. They are available un-insulated and insulated. Both are water proof. They are re-buildable also. I've tried alot of high end boots hiking and hunting here in Montana, and these are far and away the best. They do come with a down side,... they are expensive. About $300 a pair. They have replaced all of my boots, except for my cold weather packs for single digit temps. I too used to take a box full of boots on a 10 day hunt so that I could rotate boots in order to keep my feet from getting sore. Now I just take these. I am looking forward to purchasing the insulated ones for late Nov. hunting.

I dry my boots on the long trips by placing them above the floor near the wood stove in the wall tent. Not close to the stove. If you set them up on a chair or table about as close as you would sit to the stove it seems to give them enough warmth to dry over night without hurting the leather. Down on the floor doesn't get warm enough.

steve

Here in British Columbia a lot of sheep hunters I have talked too give the Meindl Canadians the thumbs up. They are a great boot in my opinion. But some guys are using the scarpas and also Lowa's sheep hunters. A high boot with good ankle support especially when sidehilling with a heavy pack is important. Would suck big time to roll your ankle in the middle of nowhere. RAMSHOT.
Meindle are without a doubt the most comfortable boot i have ever worn straight out of the box they ar like your old slippers:D . They have won every major award in design and comfort and are widley considered the best boots in the world.

Just my 2cents

JAWZ:D

Are the Meindl (Cabela's) Denali boots too much boot for an elk hunt in Colorado? I am talking about the region just west of Ft Collins. I know it isn't 9,000 - 12,000 ft peaks there but.....

I'm looking for a boot that will meet 90% of my western & Canadian hunting needs and cost less than $300. I like the Kennetrek mountain boots but they are $300+ and my budget is about $250.

Scott

Miendle actualy make a range for cabellas and they are well priced. The only diference i have seen between them and 1n's sold as just miendle is that they dont have their patented "Ibex" vibrum sole for grip.

I hunt New Zealand in the high alpine of the south island for Tahr as well as Australias sambar country and the hot hills in Queensland in the north for Red deer and my boots are only now after 5 years of solid hunting and climbing going to God. I find them comfortable in all these conditions.

JAWZ:)

I have used the Cabelas Alaskan boots, the uninsulated variety. They are really good boots but I have really bad ankles and just had ankle surgery so I'm shopping for new boots now. I've heard the best things about Lowa's Sheep Hunters and Kennetrex boots. My problem is that I need a wide boot and have heard neither of these offer a wide size. I haven't found any place in colorado that sells them so I can try on first.

Boot Choice

Last year I hunted in the Central Nevada Mountains between 7000 to 9000 feet elevation. Daytime temps were 50's and night temps were 20's. The weather was accompanied by about 1 foot of fresh snow with 3 full snow days.

I hunted with a pair of Elk Trackers by Irish Setter 800 gram insulation (I think). These boots run about $190-$240US. They were a good choice for the terrain and weather. I think they would be a little hot for warmer weather, but, you can buy this style with less insulation and just purchase insulating socks to wear during the cold time of year. With less insulation this would be an excellent all-round boot choice.

When fitting your boots try them on after working on your feet all day. By the end of the day your feet will swell. This will let you know your best fit for those long days on the trail.

This year, I saved all year and forked over the $$$ for a set of Lowa Sheep Hunters, Less insulation and so far really good grip and ankle support. These boots feel a lot lighter than they look. I am looking forward to my Early North East Nevada Mulie hunt this year. Now I have a good set for heavy winter (Elk Trackers) and a good set for the early hunts at high altitude (Sheep hunters). Now it is down to good consistent boot care to make these last as long as possible.

For Boman, I picked up a set of 12 wide Lowa Sheep hunters from Scnhees' in Montana.

I bought a pair of the meindl alaska hunters out of cabelas last spring. Been scouting in them all summer in the steep cascade backcountry, I must say im really impressed with the unbelievable ankle support. Boots took a little getting use to and do need some time breaking in, but they are a great mountain boot for anyone hunting steep rough country with a pack. I would recommend buying the green super feet insoles and replacing factory ones.

I like Lowa's, they are a comfortable boot that need little to no breaking ing in. I usually go through a pair every year or two, including my summer back packing.

I also use sandles for backpacking in warm weather, a little tricky on the downhills and not very good for rugged off trail hiking.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts