Bolt retraction on 700 7mm difficult

trigger103

Bolt retraction difficult. Bolt lift is not an issue, but when at top of stoke bolt is difficult to retract straight back. I have tried several different loads always the same result. I went from 67gr h1000 -71gr h1000. All with the same result.
No pressure signs on brass. What should I look for. This is a new gun to me, previously used

Thanks

Bolt retraction difficult. Bolt lift is not an issue, but when at top of stoke bolt is difficult to retract straight back. I have tried several different loads always the same result. I went from 67gr h1000 -71gr h1000. All with the same result.
No pressure signs on brass. What should I look for. This is a new gun to me, previously used

Thanks
Is it hard to start rearward and then get easy or is it hard all the way back?

Watch how the front of the bolt handle contacts the rear of the receiver as you lift the bolt. I'm guessing there isn't much contact.

Your extraction cams probably need timed. Find a gunsmith that can correct the angles and reposition the bolt handle.

Watch how the front of the bolt handle contacts the rear of the receiver as you lift the bolt. I'm guessing there isn't much contact.

Your extraction cams probably need timed. Find a gunsmith that can correct the angles and reposition the bolt handle.
Is this something easily done or costly

It will be an easy job for someone who is experienced. I don't know what you consider costly. Just guessing, I would expect the actual repair and bolt refinish to cost around $150. If you have to ship your rifle somewhere, you could spend another $100.

Check for action screw interference, It is not uncommon for the front or rear action screw to cause binding on the bolt as the stock or bedding is compressed. Loosen the front screw one turn first and try the bolt. Next loosen the back action screw and try the bolt. They both should be 1/2 thread low in order to clear.

Next check the scope base screws to make sure that they aren't infringing on the bolts clearance. (You can feel the rear ones by sticking your finger in the action and feeling them if they are to long, the front is a little harder to check.

This may not be the problem, But it happens often.

The other possibility is that the mag box is binding it. If the obvious
things don't fix it, take it to a reputable Smith and have him look at it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.