Best SA Receiver and Why???

I don't have experience with all the various actions available, but have been very satisfied with my Bighorn and Surgeon. Both are very smooth while having clearances that do not allow binding in dusty environments. The easy takedown, CRF, and easily interchangeable bolt heads of the Bighorn are attractive/useful features in a nicely machined package.

Last edited:
The action on my want list is the terminus Zeus. I like the 60 deg. The smoothed out cocking mechanism and the hand tighten with set screw barrels. I would love to get 3 bolts 3 barrels and 2 stocks and cover all my shooting needs with one action and scope.

You just described a Blaser... ;)

I thought the Blaser was straight pull?
also a fantastic gun

it also describes features of the AI as well

the Zeus has the 700 footprint so the aftermarket choices put the Blaser and the AI to shame.

Howa is a good action but it's metric thread and some gunsmiths aren't willing to swap out their lathe gearing to cut those threads. It's an inconvenience at minimum and potential fuster

Any of the top makers are good. I've owned 7 off that list above at different times and never had an issue. I've also owned a couple Bordens, he definitely is ahead of the others on bolt timing which smooths out your bolt manipulation.

Looking to build a SA in 6.5 caliber and want to know your thoughts on what action is best for the job? It will be a hunting/range steel banger. I would appreciate any info to be factual and not just because I like this... Pro's vs Con's etc .. Budget is 1400 and I want the action melonited or DLC of some sort.. Thanks in advance
[/QUOTE]
My most accurate rifle is my PRS-NRL rifle with an Impact action.

Last edited:
I went with an Impact action for the 6.5 saum I'm having built. I have Defiance on my other customs and have no complaints with any of them. I went with Impact because of the chart earlier in the thread, and because the same blog pointed out that the Impact actions are made to such tight tolerances that you can get certain gun smiths to cut you a new replacement barrel without needing to send the rifle in. Also if you checked historically what PRS shooters were using, I think Defiance used to lead so I thought the trend at least suggested giving Impact a try.

Unfortunately, I can't provide first hand feedback on the action yet. I'm not sure whether it was the lead time for the action or for the Manners Ultra classic stock I chose but the build has been 11 months and still waiting. The lead time on whatever you pick, may or may not be a factor in your selection.

I was asked : "Why SAKO ?"

ACTION

Sako 85 actions come in six different sizes (CSA), providing reliable functioning for each caliber. All Sako 85 models feature controlled cartridge feed (RCS) to eliminate double feed or cartridge jams. The turn-bolt handle places the hand in a natural position during bolt operation, which allows for rapid repeated firing.

Sorta like Mauser Werke did back before WW II.

I went with a Big Horn Origin and a WTO switch lug so I can swap barrels and bolt heads easy. If I go out west I can take one rifle and have 2-3 different cartridges with me for all hunting needs on one action. I did look at the Zeus also because of the switch lug capabilities but they want $375 for each of the other bolts. I can get new bolt heads for the Big Horn for $125 each.

I have multiple Bighorn SR3's and really like the way they work. Tolerances on all the high end actions are very tight. I have read they are so tight on the Bighorns that with switch barrel guns you can get a barrel without having to provide the action for custom fitting. Bolt faces are easy to change between sizes as are firing pins and springs. No tools required just your hands. In reality at your price point pick the features you want because you can't go wrong. Word would be out pretty quickly if someone was trying to sell actions for over $1000 and they weren't premium quality.

Very happy with my Big Horn Origins, especially for the $825 price tag. I have one I built as a target gun in 6.5 creedmoor and the other built as a light Hunter in PRC. Both actions shoot and feed very well. Plenty of bolt handle options and IMHO unbeatable for the price. I run savage prefits, but you can also get shouldered prefits and screw them on at home. For me, it has to be CRF and mechanical or fixed blade ejector at this price point. Push feed works fine, I just prefer CRF and if you're paying for custom, may as well get exactly what you want.

A lot of really good actions in your budget, for me personally I would look at Terminus, Kelbly and the new Barnard for $1150.00 at Whidden Gun works. Part of what draws me the Barnard is the trigger hanger which allows you time your trigger properly, none of the other actions listed provide that option to my knowledge plus I much prefer a 60 degree bolt lift.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts