What 4wheeler do you use and why?

I finally made my decision. Found a good deal on an 03 honda foreman with 600 hours. So itll be hauling a lot of bait!

That will work !!!!

I have owned nothing but Honda's sense 1983 and I know where all of them are except one
and they are all still running strong.

In fact the first one was a chain drive Big Red 3 wheeler, that I had for 14 years and the
only reason I sold it was that the land owner required 4 wheelers because he was afraid of
lawsuits with the 3 wheelers.

I have Owned other ATVs and just have not been as happy with there longevity.

Enjoy.

J E CUSTOM

I am thinking about buying a 4wheeler, primarily to make checking/restocking my bear bait a faster process and getting on some of the trails that are for ATV's only.
I am looking at the Honda fourman and the rubicon but am also interested in the Arctic cats. What do you guys use and why? How dependable is what you use? any issues?

I have an older Honda Fourman 400 that has been reliable as a rock, goes anywhere and I used it for spraying my hayfields and scouting.

Can't see upgrading because it's paid for.

The only thing I added was the Warn disconnect on the front axle to take it out of full rime 4x4. $100 bucks and about an hour.

I used to have AC sleds. They were always breaking and my issue with AC is the dealers aren't on every corner like Honda is. Not sure about AC's quads but the dealer network is still an issue IMO.

Limited ground clearance and short suspension travel are sometimes problematic with my '96 Foreman that I posted about. The factory skid pan is beat to crap, but the oil drain plug is up out of the way, and only accessible through a small hole in the pan, so while it gets interesting sometimes scraping and bumping along, it does no harm. I have hung it up and had to use the Warn to pull it off. On balance though, it gives it a low center of gravity and is very stable on steep rough grades and side hills. It's a trade-off I'm happy to make. It's hard to tump up on 2 wheels going up, down, or sideways. I've been close, but never been on my head (yet). It did run over me once when I did something so exceptionally stupid that I only told my brothers. Much dumber than putting a foot down.

My wife asked me once when I was going to get a new one. Answer was easy. I've never ridden any ATV that I liked better all-around, and have no wish to replace it. Paraphrasing JE, and other replies, They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

TikkaMike, you're going to find things about your '03 Foreman that you won't like, but I'm betting that overall, you'll never regret getting it.

Good thread, lots of experience, stuff you won't hear on a review, or read in a brochure.

Tom

For those maybe interested in building a trailer to use behind a quad here is one I did last winter. Use this thing everyday. Built from parts that I had laying around the ranch. Had to buy the wheels (12") and used old quad front tires. The box is 48"X60" Exactly the same width as the outside of the tires on the quad. Built it so the trailer tires would track. Just big enough to get a bull elk in whole.

Trailor 1.jpg

Trailor 2.jpg

I have always owned Hondas. I really like their electronic shift models. I've got to see a bunch of different ATV's at work plowing snow, the belt driven ones seemed to have problems with the continuous forward and reverse pounding that we encountered plowing 10 to 15 hours straight, Belts slipping and smoking. All the gear on gear models had no issues. I also saw a newer belt driven model that went into water a little to high and the belt slipped for the rest of the day, ruined that persons day of riding. If and when the time comes to get a new ATV, it will have to be a Honda

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts