$500 budget, best scope and why?

marcbrewer

Howdy folks, new to the forum here. So far GREAT discussions.
I am looking at getting either a Rem 700 in .308 or a Savage in .308.

I will be working up to the 1000 yrd shot.

I have a budget of $500 for a scope. I would prefer a 30mm tube and a 50 or 56 objective. Perhaps up to 20 on magnification...

Let the comments Fly!

Save your money until you can spend more on a scope made for 1000 yards.

You will probaly need at least $800 or more. My suggestion is at least $1000.

A Vortex Viper (not PST) would fit the bill. Just under 500. They are discontinued, but probably still available. 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, and 68MOA total elevation. Not sure exactly how much a 308win would need to make 1k, but it could be pretty close.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

Im kinda leanin toward this one.....300 more than I want to spend but really looks nice.

thoughts?

I currently own the vortex viper 6.5-20x44mm and that fits your bill. Very nice scope, especially the price. The glass is nice on it, as nice as my neighbors leupold VX-3. Tracks perfect, and so far holds zero even after being dropped off an ATV. Im liking the scope so much I'm looking into topping off my 300. WSM with the 4-16x50mm viper pst!

Cool Matt, thanks.
yeah the more I look at it the better I'm likin it.

I just don't have 1500 bucks to spend on a BIG BOY scope...lol

Whats up with the "first focal plane" thing that the spec sheet mentions?

I went with a used Leupold VX-III 4.5 X 14 AO. It's 1 in. and may not have the adjustment you need, but I wanted mine to deer hunt close range also. Lifetime warranty $425

Very cool! I am wanting to work on longer range shooting myself, and yes the Leupold scopes are VERY nice, just outta my price range at the moment......

good luck!

I'm probably going to get a ton of **** for this response but oh well...

Check out Millett's LRS-1. 35mm tube, 56mm 6-24x magnification. The one with the illuminated reticle comes in at about $435, with tax and all you're less than $500 AND Millett supplies the tactical rings that are actually quite nice.
Millett 6-25X56mm LRS-1 Long Range Tactical Riflescope w/ Illuminated Reticle FREE S&H BK81006. Millett Riflescopes.

I personally spent about 5 months researching scopes and pricing them out and chose this one. It has nice audible and solid clicks. I have a friend with a top$$$ scope that the turrets are like mush. The lens is crystal clear and lets in ample amount of light. The adjustments are even and ALWAYS returns to zero without fail. The scope also comes with a 3" sunshade. OH, AND Millett has a lifetime warranty.

Now, the TRS-1 is just a step below this in case you want something a little more mobile. But if you are just bench shooting and looking to hit a 1,000 this scope will handle that distance MANY times over. Hell, a lot of military personnel are hitting those distances and beyond with nothing more than a 16x magnification. I personally love this scope and never have had an issue with it. I would HIGHLY recommend it. The only other company that made the cut for me to consider for under $500 is Falcon. But Millett is perfect for what you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.